As Rebuild projects get underway to improve neighborhood parks, rec centers, and libraries, the City is finding new ways to connect small, diverse businesses with design and construction work on Rebuild sites. Since launching in May 2019, 63 local businesses have enrolled in Rebuild Ready, a free business support program to help diverse contractors bid for and win Rebuild contracts.
The eight-week course offers small business owners one-on-one guidance to build their back office function and prepare their businesses for City construction projects. Participants gain specific skills in:
– Construction accounting and financial management.
– Blueprint reading.
– Loan qualification support.
– Estimating and bid preparation.
– Payroll and joint ventures.
– Bonding, insurance, and risk.
– Construction law, contracting, and dispute resolution.
– Cash flow management and payments.
In Rebuild Ready, businesses develop materials to market themselves to the general contractors and project managers leading Rebuild projects. They receive support getting certified as City of Philadelphia minority and women-owned enterprises, and they have access to business mentors. The program aims to grow capacity in Philadelphia’s small, diverse, design and construction industry through Rebuild contracts and other City projects.
Congratulations to Rebuild Ready’s second cohort of small businesses, who completed their training last month:
- A & Beyond Services.
- America’s Best Construction.
- Apiary Studio LLC.
- Baggy Construction, LLC.
- CGW Electric, Inc.
- Cheek Extreme Cleaning.
- D & D Family Construction.
- Eating for the Ecosystem, Inc.
- Excellent Painting USA, LLC.
- International Construction Specialist, Inc.
- Lisa Lim Repair.
- Milder Office Inc.
- Miller Design Group, LLC.
- Over the Top Masonry Restoration.
- S.H.E. Designs & Builds.
- Side Technology, Inc.
- Surratt Painting, Inc.