Skip to main content

Water, gas & utilities

Prevent water shutoffs

Under certain circumstances, you can prevent or postpone your water from being shut off.

Apply for assistance

The City gives a 30-day window of protection from water shutoff to any customer who requests an application. You will also be protected from water shutoff while we process your application. If you requested this application because you were in danger of being shut off, make sure to submit your completed application within 30 days to avoid shut off. Your water will not be shut off while your application is being reviewed.

Request an application

Request a payment plan

We require a 25% down payment for most residential agreements, and the agreement must be paid in 6–12 months. Some low-income applicants may qualify for a reduced down payment. For commercial agreements, customers must make a 50% down payment and the agreement must be paid in 3–6 months.

Find out more about payment agreements.

Medical delay

If you are sick and need water service for health reasons, the Water Revenue Bureau may delay the shutoff of your services for 30 days. To request a delay, you must call (215) 685-6300 or send a request to the Bureau that includes the following:

  1. A completed and signed Medical Certification Form; OR
  2. A letter that says:
    • Having your water shut off will prevent you from getting better.
    • You understand that your service will be shut off at the end of the delay period if you haven’t paid your entire bill or entered into a payment agreement by then.
  3. An official doctor’s note stating that you have a serious illness and how long it will take you to get better.

Sending your shutoff delay request

You or your doctor should fax medical documentation to (215) 685-3777 or email it to

You can also mail documentation to:

Water Revenue Bureau
P.O. Box 41496
Philadelphia, PA 19101-1496

Note: Medical delay request documentation must be on file with us within five business days of the original request.

Landlord non-payment

If you are a tenant and your landlord is the water account holder, your water will not be shut off for the landlord’s non-payment. If you received a shut off notice because your landlord has stopped making water payments, you must be given a chance to stop the shutoff under the Utility Service Tenants Rights Act (PDF). If your water has already been shut off because your landlord has stopped making water payments, your water can be restored.

Call (215) 685-6300 for information on the Utility Service Tenants Rights Act process.

Raise Your Hand (Shutoff Exemption)

If your water service is at risk of shutoff due to unpaid balance, you can stop it if you meet certain qualifications. The City has taken steps to protect water customers through the Raise Your Hand initiative, which exempts vulnerable residents from shutoffs.

If a senior (65 years or older), person with a disability or serious illness, or child (under 18 years old) lives under your roof, your water will not be shut off. Although your balance may continue to increase if you don’t pay, you will be protected from shutoff. These protections are available to anyone, including tenants.

If you meet these criteria, contact us at 215-685-6300 or by email at to prevent a shutoff or restore your water service.

You may also visit us in person at one of our open customer offices:

Center City

Municipal Services Building
Public Services Concourse
1401 John F. Kennedy Blvd.
Philadelphia, PA 19102
Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.

Northeast Philadelphia

Northeast Service Center
7522 Castor Ave.
Philadelphia, PA 19152
Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.

Trusted Partner Outreach

For personalized help for customers facing a shutoff, we partner with the Office of Community Empowerment and Opportunity. These trusted partners can text, call, email, and visit customers at risk of shutoff. If you have received a shut-off bill, be on the lookout for their texts, calls, or visits. Our partners are authorized to support your enrollment in assistance programs, or they can connect you to other resources and services.