What we do
On January 4, 2016, Jim Kenney was sworn in as the 99th Mayor of Philadelphia. In his first budget, the Mayor worked closely with City Council to fund bold anti-poverty initiatives. The initiatives included the expansion of quality pre-k, the creation of community schools, and investing in parks, rec centers, and libraries. These initiatives were possible because Philadelphia became the first major city to pass a tax on sweetened beverages.
The Mayor’s Office works to strengthen every neighborhood by focusing on:
- Improving educational opportunities and outcomes for all of Philadelphia’s children.
- Improving economic opportunities for all Philadelphians.
- Improving public safety for all Philadelphians while treating residents with respect and dignity.
- Operating government efficiently and effectively.
- Developing a diverse workforce that looks like Philadelphia.