Due to extremely cold conditions, the City is implementing special measures to keep people who are homeless safe. If you see someone who needs shelter, call (215) 232-1984.
In effect: 3:00 p.m. on Friday, Jan. 14 until further notice

COVID-19 vaccine

The vaccine is now available for everyone 5 and older! Get your children vaccinated today. Find a City-run vaccine clinic or partner vaccine clinic to protect yourself and your loved ones. If you have questions about vaccination, call (215) 685-5488.

Water, gas & utilities

Water meters

The following are instructions for installing water meters and what to do if a water meter is damaged.

Installing a water meter

If you do not have a water meter, or your current meter is damaged, call (215) 685-3000 to schedule an appointment to allow a City representative into your home to install a replacement AMR meter at your property. Upon installation, the property owner will be responsible for safeguarding the meter and meter components from theft, vandalism, freezing, tampering or other damage. Until your replacement meter is installed, the Water Revenue Bureau will send you an estimated bill based on the amount of water used in the past and the previously determined size of your meter.

Reading a water meter

Knowing how to read a water meter can help you understand your water usage, or find out if you have a leak.

The six-digit number found on the face of the meter reflects the meter’s current usage reading. Be sure to record all six digits, including any leading zeros, if you need to share this number. The seven-digit number engraved into the metal base of your meter is the meter number.

The large red needle will move around the face of the meter one time for every 10 gallons you use. The small blue dial will move even if you have a very small leak. To check if you have a leak, stop all water usage on the home and see if the blue dial continues to move. A registered plumber can help detect the source of a leak if it isn’t apparent.

Automatic meter reading

Automatic Meter Reading (AMR) uses radio waves to transmit information about your water usage. This allows a City representative to read your meter without entering your home. AMR readings happen once a month.

Broken water meter

Having a water meter at your property means you are responsible for keeping it in good condition. If your water meter breaks, call (215) 685-6300 to get it repaired or replaced.