Due to extremely cold conditions, the City is implementing special measures to keep people who are homeless safe. If you see someone who needs shelter, call (215) 232-1984.
In effect: 3:00 p.m. on Friday, Jan. 14 until further notice

COVID-19 vaccine

The vaccine is now available for everyone 5 and older! Get your children vaccinated today. Find a City-run vaccine clinic or partner vaccine clinic to protect yourself and your loved ones. If you have questions about vaccination, call (215) 685-5488.

Water, gas & utilities

Stop water service

To permanently stop water and sewer services at your property, you must obtain a Discontinuance Permit. The Philadelphia Water Department (PWD) issues these permits at the PWD Permit Desk on the concourse level of the Municipal Services Building.

Note: Discontinuance Permits do not pertain to stormwater assessments or charges.

Obtain a Discontinuance Permit

To obtain a Discontinuance Permit, you must bring:

  • A current water bill.
  • A photo ID.
  • A notarized letter from the property owner authorizing the permit (if you are not the property owner).
  • A letter, with the property owner’s letterhead, authorizing the permit (if a company or organization owns the property).

PWD Permit Desk

Visit or call the PWD Permit Desk at:

In person

Municipal Services Building
Public Service Concourse
1401 John F. Kennedy Blvd.
Philadelphia, PA 19102-1687

By phone

Call (215) 685-6300

Hours: Open Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.

Once PWD issues your permit, a representative will visit your property to disconnect the water service from our main and remove your water meter.

Don't stop your water service to save money

The issuance of a Discontinuance Permit is not a temporary solution to avoid service charges. If you need to restore water service after the City issues a Discontinuance Permit, you must obtain a new permit and hire a certified plumber to install a new water service. This could result in thousands of dollars of additional expenses.

Related content