You need this license to operate as a vendor in Philadelphia’s special vending districts. The Department of Licenses and Inspections (L&I) issues these licenses.
There are three types of special vending district license:
- Neighborhood Vending: For businesses in special districts other than Center City
- Special Vending: For food trucks in University City
- Center City Vending: For vending in Center City
There are only a limited number of these licenses available:
- There is a waitlist for Neighborhood Vending and Special Vending Licenses.
- Center City Licenses are awarded by lottery. All applicable vendors are automatically entered into this lottery which is held only when enough spaces are available.
Active special vending districts:
- Center City
- University City
- 52nd St. Business District
- Central Germantown Business District
- Germantown Corridor Business District
- Temple University
- Morris Street District
Special Vending Licenses are not transferable. Selling or giving a license away could result in fines.
Business owners and their agents can apply for this license.
Other licenses and registrations
- Business Income and Receipts Tax ID (BIRT)
- Commercial Activity License
- The appropriate vending license for your business. For example, a Motor Vehicle Vending License or a Sidewalk Sales License.
Vending Unit approval
Award letter from the L&I Vending Unit showing your approved location.
- To request approval, contact the Vending Unit by phone (215) 686-2414 or email email@example.com.
- The Vending Unit will review your request and let you know if you are approved.
- If approved, you will receive an award letter and can apply for your license online using eCLIPSE or in person. The Vending Unit will explain what you need to apply for your specific license.
- Proof of your identity and address.
- Two photographs of yourself. 2 in. x 2 in., color
Where and when
Phone (215) 686-2414
Use the eCLIPSE system.
Permit and License Center
1401 John F. Kennedy Blvd.
MSB, Public Service Concourse
Philadelphia, PA 19102
Office hours: 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday
Office closes at noon on the last Wednesday of each month.
Renewal fee: $330
Cost per vehicle
Renewal fee: $3000
Renewal fee: $330
Payment methods and details
Accepted payment methods
|Online through the eCLIPSE application||
|In person at the Permit and License Center in the Municipal Services Building||
|In person at the Cashier’s Station in the Municipal Services Building
(Items paid at the Cashier’s Station will be mailed within five business days.)
Checks and money orders
- Make all checks and money orders payable to the “City of Philadelphia.”
- The individual or company listed on the check must be listed on the application.
- Personal checks are accepted.
- Checks and money orders must have issue dates within 12 months of the transaction.
Reasons your check may be rejected
L&I will not accept checks that are missing depository information or are:
- Starter checks without account info
Returned payment policy
If your check is returned unpaid for insufficient or uncollected funds:
- You authorize the City of Philadelphia or its agent to make a one-time electronic fund transfer from your account to collect a fee of $20.
- The City of Philadelphia or its agent may re-present your check electronically to your depository institution for payment.
In order to apply for a license to vend in the City’s special districts, you must first get approval from the Vending Unit. Once approved, you can apply online through eCLIPSE or in person at the Permit and License Center.
Applications are reviewed within five business days.
If the application isn’t approved, you will receive an email stating what is missing or required.
If you have been approved for any special vending licenses, you must present your award letter. L&I can review most applications while you wait.
- Renew online through eCLIPSE or in person at the Permit and License Center
Required for renewal:
- Must be current on all City of Philadelphia taxes
- Valid email address