Skip to main content

Permits, violations & licenses

Report an unlicensed contractor or unpermitted work

Service overview

If you know about an unlicensed contractor or construction work being done without valid permits, you can report them to 311 and the Department of Licenses and Inspections (L&I).


Anyone can report unlicensed contractors and unpermitted work to L&I.


Unlicensed contractors and unpermitted work

To report unlicensed contractors or unpermitted work, use 311’s online form or call 311. If you’re outside Philadelphia, call (215) 686-8686 instead.

After you’ve filed a report with 311, you can submit more information to Include the 311 case number, address where work is being done, and your phone number or email address.

L&I will review the information and determine if further action is warranted.

Contractor fraud, breach of contract, homeowner’s warranty

L&I does not handle contractor fraud, breach of contract, or failure to honor a homeowner’s warranty.

If you want to report one of these, you can contact:

In case of emergency

In case of emergency, call 911.