Skip to main content

Permits, violations & licenses

Get an Activity License Number

Service overview

You need an Activity License Number for certain kinds of non-commercial activity in Philadelphia. This includes:

  • Renting up to three units in a building that you live in.
  • Operating a non-profit.
  • Getting a vacant property license (residential or commercial).


Any person or legal entity can apply for this license. A business that is established under an EIN must identify up to two corporate owners.


Before you apply, you’ll need:

Property owners that rent 1-3 units in a building they live in must pay the School Income Tax and register the activity type.

Where and when


You can apply online using eCLIPSE.

If you need help filing your application online, you can schedule a virtual appointment.

In person

You need an appointment to visit the Permit and License Center in person.

Permit and License Center
1401 John F. Kennedy Blvd.
MSB, Public Service Concourse
Philadelphia, PA 19102

Office hours: 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday

Offices close at noon on the last Wednesday of each month.


There is no cost for an Activity License Number.



You can apply for this license using eCLIPSE.
The license is issued automatically.

In person

Visit the Permit and License Center.

If you do not already have a City tax account, you can visit the Revenue Department during the same visit.

This license is issued while you wait.

Renewal requirements

This license does not need to be renewed.