Companies need this license to conduct third-party special inspections of projects for the Department of Licenses and Inspections (L&I) construction permits. Special inspections are required for underpinning operations and certain demolition operations.
Individual inspectors need a Special Inspector License.
An inspection agency can register for more than one inspection category.
The owner or agent of an inspection company can apply for this license.
Other licenses and registrations
All insurance must be submitted on a Certificate of Insurance and include these minimum amounts:
- Professional Liability: $500,000 per occurrence
- Worker’s Compensation:
- $100,000 per accident
- $100,000 per employee
- $500,000 policy limit
List of personnel
You should submit:
- Identification of all licensed special inspectors who will be conducting inspections in Philadelphia. You must identify at least one inspector licensed in each category that you request.
- Identification of at least one supervisor who is a PA-registered design professional or a registered special inspector in the requested category. This supervisor may not work for more than one agency. An engineer-in-training, geologist-in-training, or supplemental inspector cannot act as a supervisor.
The agency must be current on all City of Philadelphia taxes.
Where and when
Use the eCLIPSE system.
Permit and License Center
1401 John F. Kennedy Blvd.
MSB, Public Service Concourse
Philadelphia, PA 19102
Office hours: 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday
Office closes at noon on the last Wednesday of each month.
A non-refundable application fee of $20 is applied toward the license fee. The balance of the license fee is due once your application is approved.
Payment methods and details
Accepted payment methods
|Online through the eCLIPSE application
(There is a $200,000 limit for online payments.)
|In person at the Permit and License Center in the Municipal Services Building||
|In person at the Cashier’s Station in the Municipal Services Building
(Items paid at the Cashier’s Station will be mailed within five business days.)
Checks and money orders
- Make all checks and money orders payable to the “City of Philadelphia.”
- The individual or company listed on the check must be listed on the application.
- Personal checks are accepted.
- Checks and money orders must have issue dates within 12 months of the transaction.
Reasons your check may be rejected
L&I will not accept checks that are missing depository information or are:
- Starter checks without account info.
Returned payment policy
If your check is returned unpaid for insufficient or uncollected funds:
- You authorize the City of Philadelphia or its agent to make a one-time electronic fund transfer from your account to collect a fee of $20.
- The City of Philadelphia or its agent may re-present your check electronically to your depository institution for payment.
You can apply for this license online using eCLIPSE or in person at the Permit and License Center.
Applications are reviewed within five business days.
If the application isn’t approved, you will receive an email stating what is missing or required.
You must renew this license every three years. You can renew online through eCLIPSE.
To renew your license, you must:
- Be current on all City of Philadelphia taxes.
- Have proof of an active insurance policy.
- Have a current quality control plan on file with L&I.
- Have current accreditation, if applicable.