To reduce the spread of COVID-19, customers must make an appointment for an in-person visit to the Department of Licenses and Inspections (L&I) Permit and License Center.
At this time, in-person appointments are only available to:
- File applications to get or renew a license.
- File new permit applications, including for Make Safe Permits.
- Drop off additional information requested by L&I for permit applications filed prior to March 13, 2020.
- Pay for or pick up permits with paper plans.
You must have a copy of the permit invoice to pay for or pick up permits with paper plans. The contractor’s license, insurance, and tax account must all be up-to-date.
Customers are limited to one appointment per day and to three filings and pickups per appointment.
Some applications need preapprovals from other departments. These departments may not be reviewing paper applications at this time. Apply online using eCLIPSE to avoid delays.
Scheduling an appointment
You can schedule your appointment online or by calling 311, or (215) 686-8686 if you are outside of Philadelphia.
You must provide the following information:
- First and last name.
- A valid email address.
- The number and type of applications you are submitting or picking up.
What to bring
You must bring:
- Photo identification
- A face mask. You must wear a face mask at all times in the Municipal Services Building.
- A copy of the permit invoice, if you are picking up a permit and have not yet paid for it.
Where and when
In-person appointments are only available at the Municipal Services Building (MSB). All visitors must use the entrance on John F. Kennedy Blvd. L&I district offices remain closed to the public.
Municipal Services Building
1401 John F. Kennedy Blvd.
MSB, Public Service Concourse
Philadelphia, PA 19102
Appointments are available Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Do not arrive more than fifteen minutes before your scheduled time. Your appointment will be canceled if you arrive after your scheduled time.
Do not enter the building with another person. Only people with appointments will be allowed inside.