To reduce the spread of COVID-19, customers must make an appointment for an in-person visit to the Department of Licenses and Inspections (L&I) Permit and License Center.
At this time, in-person appointments are only available to:
- File applications to get or renew a license.
- File new permit applications, including for Make Safe Permits.
- Submit revised plans for applications filed on paper.
- Pay for or pick up permits with paper plans.
- Request a copy of licenses, permits, or violations.
- File an appeal with the Board of License and Inspections Review, the Board of Building Standards, or the Plumbing Advisory Board.
Customers can also schedule a virtual appointment to get help with filing new permit applications, license applications, and license renewals.
You must have a copy of the permit invoice to pay for or pick up permits with paper plans. The contractor’s license, insurance, and tax account must all be up-to-date.
Customers are limited to three filings per appointment.
Scheduling an appointment
You can schedule your appointment online or by calling 311, or (215) 686-8686 if you are outside of Philadelphia.
You must provide the following information:
- First and last name.
- A valid email address.
- The number and type of applications you are submitting or picking up.
For in-person or virtual appointments related to permit and license applications, use QLess.
For in-person appointments to file an appeal to the BLIR, BBS, or PAB, use the online form.
The Permit and License Center doesn’t handle appeals to the Zoning Board of Adjustment (ZBA).
What to bring to in-person appointments
You must bring:
- Photo identification.
- A face mask. You must wear a face mask at all times in the Municipal Services Building.
- A copy of the permit invoice, if you are picking up a permit and have not yet paid for it.
Where and when
Virtual appointments are conducted over Zoom.
In-person appointments are only available at the Municipal Services Building (MSB). L&I district offices remain closed to the public.
Municipal Services Building
1401 John F. Kennedy Blvd.
MSB, Public Service Concourse
Philadelphia, PA 19102
Appointments are available Monday through Friday.
Do not arrive more than fifteen minutes before your scheduled time.
Do not enter the building with another person. Only people with appointments will be allowed inside.