You need a Sheet Metal Apprentice License to install, maintain, and service sheet metal used in HVAC systems. Sheet metal apprentices must work:
- Through a registered apprenticeship program.
- Under the supervision of a licensed sheet metal technician.
Sheet Metal Apprentices must work for a licensed contractor. This license does not authorize the operation of a business.
Individuals enrolled in a sheet metal apprentice program and performing sheet metal work can apply for this license.
Proof of apprenticeship
You must provide proof of enrollment in an approved Sheet Metal Apprenticeship program. This program must be registered with the United States Department of Labor or a State Apprenticeship Council. It should include:
- At least 8,000 hours of documented practical experience in the installation, maintenance, and other servicing of sheet metal systems.
- At least 800 hours of classroom, shop, or related instruction in the installation, maintenance, and other servicing of sheet metal systems.
2 in. x 2 in., color
Where and when
Use the eCLIPSE system.
Permit and License Center
1401 John F. Kennedy Blvd.
MSB, Public Service Concourse
Philadelphia, PA 19102
Office hours: 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday
Office closes at noon on the last Wednesday of each month.
A non-refundable application fee of $20 is applied to the license fee. The balance of the license fee is due once your application is approved.
Payment methods and details
Accepted payment methods
|Online through the eCLIPSE application
(There is a $200,000 limit for online payments.)
|In person at the Permit and License Center in the Municipal Services Building||
|In person at the Cashier’s Station in the Municipal Services Building
(Items paid at the Cashier’s Station will be mailed within five business days.)
Checks and money orders
- Make all checks and money orders payable to the “City of Philadelphia.”
- The individual or company listed on the check must be listed on the application.
- Personal checks are accepted.
- Checks and money orders must have issue dates within 12 months of the transaction.
Reasons your check may be rejected
L&I will not accept checks that are missing depository information or are:
- Starter checks without account info.
Returned payment policy
If your check is returned unpaid for insufficient or uncollected funds:
- You authorize the City of Philadelphia or its agent to make a one-time electronic fund transfer from your account to collect a fee of $20.
- The City of Philadelphia or its agent may re-present your check electronically to your depository institution for payment.
You can apply for this license online using eCLIPSE or in person at the Permit and License Center.
Applications are reviewed within five business days.
If the application isn’t approved, you will receive an email stating what is missing or required.
L&I can review most applications while you wait.
This license must be renewed every three years. You can renew online through eCLIPSE or in person at the Permit and License Center.
To renew your license, you must provide proof of continued enrollment in a Registered Apprenticeship Program.