You can access information from the Department of Licenses and Inspections (L&I) online at no cost, including:
- Business license information.
- Certificate of Occupancy information.
- Construction permit details.
- Lawful Occupancy Sign information.
- Violation information.
- Zoning records.
You can also request copies of permits, licenses, certificates, and some plans.
Where and when
Permit and License Center
1401 John F. Kennedy Blvd.
MSB, Public Service Concourse
Philadelphia, PA 19102
Office hours: 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday
Offices close at noon on the last Wednesday of each month.
You must be the owner or authorized agent or have written permission to get building plans.
Payment methods and details
Accepted payment methods
|Online through the eCLIPSE application||
|In person at the Permit and License Center in the Municipal Services Building||
|In person at the Cashier’s Station in the Municipal Services Building
(Items paid at the Cashier’s Station will be mailed within five business days.)
Checks and money orders
- Make all checks and money orders payable to the “City of Philadelphia.”
- The individual or company listed on the check must be listed on the application.
- Personal checks are accepted.
- Checks and money orders must have issue dates within 12 months of the transaction.
Reasons your check may be rejected
L&I will not accept checks that are missing depository information or are:
- Starter checks without account info
Returned payment policy
If your check is returned unpaid for insufficient or uncollected funds:
- You authorize the City of Philadelphia or its agent to make a one-time electronic fund transfer from your account to collect a fee of $20.
- The City of Philadelphia or its agent may re-present your check electronically to your depository institution for payment.
Certificates of Occupancy
The availability of a Certificate of Occupancy is based on the construction date.
Most buildings constructed before 1969 or used as a single-family dwelling do not have a certificate of occupancy. For more information, see the Code Bulletin regarding Certificates of Occupancy for uncertified buildings.
For 1969 to 2006, you can find all certificates retained by L&I in the zoning file on Atlas.
Construction permits and plans
You can access permit information from 2006 to present using Atlas.
You can request copies of permits from 2006 to present by submitting the Copy Request Form with the fee.
The property owner or the owner’s agent can request copies of any building plans on file by submitting the Plan Request Form with the fee. If you are not the property owner or the permit applicant, you must include a letter of authorization from the owner with the form. Plans processed before 2004 were not kept by L&I unless they were associated with a building variance or major project.
Lawful Occupancy Sign
You can find signs retained by L&I in the zoning file on Atlas.
Review the instructions to file for a new or replacement Lawful Occupancy Sign.
You can get copies of a current license by submitting the Copy Request Form with the fee.
You can search for violation information on Atlas.
To get a copy of a violation, visit the Permit and License Center.
You can access complete zoning records using Atlas.