Permits, violations & licenses

Get a copy of a license, permit, or violation

Service overview

You can access information from the Department of Licenses and Inspections (L&I) online at no cost, including:

  • Business license information.
  • Certificate of Occupancy information.
  • Construction permit details.
  • Lawful Occupancy Sign information.
  • Violation information.
  • Zoning records.

You can also request copies of permits, licenses, certificates, and some plans.

Where and when

Permit and License Center
1401 John F. Kennedy Blvd.
MSB, Public Service Concourse
Philadelphia, PA 19102

Office hours: 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday

Offices close at noon on the last Wednesday of each month.


Permits, licenses, and certificates
Plans, per file

You must be the owner or authorized agent or have written permission to get building plans.

Payment methods and details

Accepted payment methods

Where Accepted payment
Online through the eCLIPSE application

(There is a $200,000 limit for online payments.)

  • Electronic check
  • Credit card (+2.25% surcharge)
In person at the Permit and License Center in the Municipal Services Building
  • Electronic check
  • Credit card (+2.25% surcharge)
In person at the Cashier’s Station in the Municipal Services Building

(Items paid at the Cashier’s Station will be mailed within five business days.)

  • Check
  • Money order
  • Credit card (+2.25% surcharge)
  • Cash

Checks and money orders

Check requirements
  • Make all checks and money orders payable to the “City of Philadelphia.”
  • The individual or company listed on the check must be listed on the application.
  • Personal checks are accepted.
  • Checks and money orders must have issue dates within 12 months of the transaction.
Reasons your check may be rejected

L&I will not accept checks that are missing depository information or are:

  • Unsigned.
  • Expired.
  • Post-dated.
  • Starter checks without account info.

Returned payment policy

If your check is returned unpaid for insufficient or uncollected funds:

  1. You authorize the City of Philadelphia or its agent to make a one-time electronic fund transfer from your account to collect a fee of $20.
  2. The City of Philadelphia or its agent may re-present your check electronically to your depository institution for payment.

Late license payment

If you renew your license more than 60 days after the due date, you will be charged 1.5% of the license fee for each month since the license expired.


Certificates of Occupancy

The availability of a Certificate of Occupancy is based on the construction date.

Most buildings constructed before 1969 or used as a single-family dwelling do not have a certificate of occupancy. For more information, see the Code Bulletin regarding Certificates of Occupancy for uncertified buildings.

For 1969 to 2006, you can find all certificates retained by L&I in the zoning file on Atlas.

For 2006 to present, you can get a duplicate certificate by submitting the Copy Request Form with the fee. You must identify the associated building permit number, which you can find on Atlas.

Construction permits and plans

You can access permit information from 2006 to present using Atlas.

You can request copies of permits from 2006 to present by submitting the Copy Request Form with the fee.

The property owner or the owner’s agent can request copies of any building plans on file by submitting the Plan Request Form with the fee. If you are not the property owner or the permit applicant, you must include a letter of authorization from the owner with the form. Plans processed before 2004 were not kept by L&I unless they were associated with a building variance or major project.

Lawful Occupancy Sign

You can find signs retained by L&I in the zoning file on Atlas.

Review the instructions to file for a new or replacement Lawful Occupancy Sign.


You can search for current business license information using Atlas or eCLIPSE.

You can get copies of a current license by submitting the Copy Request Form with the fee.


You can search for violation information on Atlas.

To get a copy of a violation, visit the Permit and License Center.


You can access complete zoning records using Atlas.