You need a Tent Permit to put up a large tent or canopy for functions or events.
- Tents larger than 400 sq. ft.
- Tens larger than 10 ft. by 10 ft. in a City park.
- Canopies larger than 400 sq. ft. with a minimum clearance of 12 in. from other tents.
See the Philadelphia Fire Code for exceptions.
The Department of Licenses and Inspections (L&I) issues this permit.
Anyone can apply for this license.
- You must list the dates of the event, installation, and removal.
- You must note if the installation will happen during the weekend or after 4 p.m. on a weekday.
- There is an additional fee for any installation requiring an inspection outside of normal business hours.
The company installing the tent must have:
- Business Income and Receipts Tax ID.
- Commercial Activity License.
- A current Certificate of Insurance for a minimum of $1,000,000 of General Liability coverage.
Provide a detailed site and floor plan for tents, including:
- Size and location.
- Tent exits.
- Proposed occupant load.
- Arrangement of the seating and locations.
- Type of heating and electrical equipment.
Submit documentation that shows tents, membrane structure, and their accessories meet the flame propagation performance criteria of NFPA 701.
For encroachments on the public right-of-way
You need approval from
The Department of Streets
You’ll need a Streets Closure Permit. Refer to Streets Closure Permit requirements and applicable forms for details.
You’ll need your Streets Closure Permit from the Department of Streets before you make your application to the Department of Licenses and Inspections (L&I).
Once approved, submit your Streets Closure Permit to the Permit and License Center in the MSB Concourse.
For tents larger than 10 ft. by 10 ft. on Fairmount Park property
You need approval from
Philadelphia Parks & Recreation
You’ll need to get a permit for a large event or festival to host an event in Fairmount Park.
Bring your approved Parks & Recreation permit when making application for Temporary Tent Permit at the Permit and License Center in the MSB.
Where and when
Permit and License Center
1401 John F. Kennedy Blvd.
MSB, Public Service Concourse
Philadelphia, PA 19102
Office Hours: 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday
Offices close at Noon on the last Wednesday of each month.
There is an additional fee of $200 to set-up on weekends or after 4 p.m on weekdays.
Payment methods and details
Accepted payment methods
|Online through the eCLIPSE application||
|In person at the Permit and License Center in the Municipal Services Building||
|In person at the Cashier’s Station in the Municipal Services Building
(Items paid at the Cashier’s Station will be mailed within five business days.)
Checks and money orders
- Make all checks and money orders payable to the “City of Philadelphia.”
- The individual or company listed on the check must be listed on the application.
- Personal checks are accepted.
- Checks and money orders must have issue dates within 12 months of the transaction.
Reasons your check may be rejected
L&I will not accept checks that are missing depository information or are:
- Starter checks without account info
Returned payment policy
If your check is returned unpaid for insufficient or uncollected funds:
- You authorize the City of Philadelphia or its agent to make a one-time electronic fund transfer from your account to collect a fee of $20.
- The City of Philadelphia or its agent may re-present your check electronically to your depository institution for payment.
You can apply for this permit in person at the Permit and License Center.
L&I can review most applications while you wait.