What we do
The Department of Licenses and Inspections (L&I) helps people comply with building safety standards and other code requirements. Contractors, business and property owners, landlords, and tenants are all served by L&I.
As part of our mission, we:
- Inspect construction projects so they meet construction and fire codes.
- Inspect higher-risk properties for compliance with fire codes.
- Respond to complaints regarding many code violations.
- Inspect, monitor, seal, and demolish vacant and/or dangerous buildings.
- Review plans and issue permits according to building, zoning, plumbing, and electrical codes.
- Issue trade and business licenses.
- Help landlords and tenants understand their responsibilities.
You can now schedule an online meeting with L&I representatives to get help with:
- Submitting a new permit application.
- Submitting a new rental license application.
- Rental license renewal.
All online meetings will be conducted over Zoom. To sign-up, complete the appointment request form.
You will receive an email from L&I with the Zoom link the day before your scheduled appointment.
All permit applications for new construction and additions filed on or after April 1, 2021, must include the following:
- A separate energy compliance plan depicting the full building thermal envelope. The plan must provide the necessary detail to confirm compliance with applicable Energy Code provisions, including:
- Continuous air barrier.
- Window/door schedule with fenestration rating and areas.
- Projects utilizing the prescriptive method complying with the Philadelphia Energy Conservation Code requires a COMcheck or REScheck Compliance Certificate signed by the design professional.
- Mechanical and/or Lighting Compliance Certificates must also be provided where a mechanical or lighting system is selected as an additional energy efficiency package.
Note: The requirements for compliance certificates do not apply to projects utilizing the PA Alternative Residential Energy Provisions.
eCLIPSE will be out of service from Thursday, May 20th at 10:00 p.m. through Friday, May 21st at 2:00 a.m. for required maintenance.
L&I apologizes for any inconvenience.