What we do
The Department of Licenses and Inspections (L&I) helps people comply with building safety standards and other code requirements. Contractors, business and property owners, landlords, and tenants are all served by L&I.
As part of our mission, we:
- Inspect construction projects so they meet construction and fire codes.
- Inspect higher-risk properties for compliance with fire codes.
- Respond to complaints regarding many code violations.
- Inspect, monitor, seal, and demolish vacant and/or dangerous buildings.
- Review plans and issue permits according to building, zoning, plumbing, and electrical codes.
- Issue trade and business licenses.
- Help landlords and tenants understand their responsibilities.
The Friends of Marconi Plaza are appealing the recommendation of the Historical Commission regarding the removal of the Christopher Columbus statue at Marconi Plaza. An emergency hearing on the appeal will be held before the Board of License and Inspection Review on August 7, 202o at 1o a.m.
The public can attend through Zoom at the following link:
Meeting ID: 662 630 8763
One tap mobile
+13126266799,,6626308763#,,,,,,0#,,940024# US (Chicago)
+19292056099,,6626308763#,,,,,,0#,,940024# US (New York)
Dial by your location
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
+1 301 715 8592 US (Germantown, MD)
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
Meeting ID: 662 630 8763
Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kcLtjWV5HU
L&I has cut the standard review time for new online permit applications to 10 business days. Formerly, the 10-business-days timeframe was only for reviews that applicants had paid an extra fee to “accelerate.”
With standard review times now falling within the same 10-business-days timeframe as accelerated reviews, L&I has temporarily suspended the accelerated program. L&I continues to accept new permit applications only online via eCLIPSE.
Use this table to find help with issues you may have during the shutdown.
|Trouble with logging into eCLIPSE, or licensing and technical questions||Call 311 or use the 311 online form|
|Check the status of a permit or ask a code question||Check the permit tracker or use the permit or code questions form|
|Request an inspection||Call (215) 255-4040 or use the eCLIPSE portal|
|COVID-19 construction and business updates||Refer to the Restarting Construction FAQs and City of Philadelphia Safer at Home reopening guidance|
|Pick up approved paper plans||Make an appointment at the L&I License and Permit Center at the Municipal Services Building|
|If application made on paper: pay for a permit, submit revised plans, amend or appeal a permit, and/or add a co-applicant to access a permit||To proceed online, use the request access to a legacy permit form. To proceed in person, make an appointment at the L&I License and Permit Center at the Municipal Services Building.|
|Obtain a Make Safe Permit||Review requirements for getting a Make Safe Permit and make an appointment at the L&I License and Permit Center at the Municipal Services Building.|
|Can’t see Contractor License under Professional/Tradesperson pull down in eCLIPSE||Use L&I’s help request form or the 311 online form|
|Upload emergency inspection||Use Notice of Completion of Repairs Form|
|Notify L&I of resolution of “permit hold” issue||Use the permit or code questions form|
|ZBA appeal information||Zoning Board of Appeals|
|Appeal to the Board of L&I Review||Review how to appeal to the Board of L&I Review and file your appeal using eCLIPSE.|
L&I is offering monthly eCLIPSE public information, e-Plans and Zoning training webinars.
In August, L&I will also offer a webinar on the Plumbing Code, designed especially for smaller residential contractors.
Please register below. You will receive email instructions closer to the webinar date about how to participate.
Zoning Training sessions:
- Tuesday, September 15th (9:30 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.) – register
e-Plans Training sessions:
- Wednesday, August 19th (9:30 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.) – register
- Wednesday, September 16th (9:30 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.) – register
eCLIPSE Training sessions:
- Thursday, September 17th (9:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.) – register
Plumbing Code Training session for small residential contractors:
- Tuesday, August 25th (12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m.) – register
After these training courses, you will be able to:
- Create a user account.
- Navigate the home page.
- Make a permit application.
- Access the review results.
- Manage inspections.
- Manage ePlans submissions.
- Make a Zoning permit application.
- Understand process changes.
- Understand the 2018 Plumbing Code requirements.
- Overview of common deficiencies with Plumbing Code design.