What we do
The Department of Licenses and Inspections (L&I) helps people comply with building safety standards and other code requirements. Contractors, business and property owners, landlords, and tenants are all served by L&I.
As part of our mission, we:
- Inspect construction projects so they meet construction and fire codes.
- Inspect higher-risk properties for compliance with fire codes.
- Respond to complaints regarding many code violations.
- Inspect, monitor, seal, and demolish vacant and/or dangerous buildings.
- Review plans and issue permits according to building, zoning, plumbing, and electrical codes.
- Issue trade and business licenses.
- Help landlords and tenants understand their responsibilities.
The Department of Licenses & Inspections will be offering a four (4) part training workshop on the science of building envelope protections. The course will cover various aspects of building durability, including condensation control and water management. The course is intended for licensed contractors and design professionals. A course completion certificate will be issued after each session. These courses qualify for continuing education for AIA licensure and UCC re-certification.
Part 1: We have a Moisture Problem (Identify a problem with the housing stock; Why it is a problem; How to fix the problem)
- Tuesday, December 12th @ 9 a.m. – 10 a.m. – To register, click here.
- Tuesday, February 13th @ 9 a.m. – 10 a.m. – To register, click here.
Part 2: Moisture in Buildings (Types of moisture; How moisture moves; Steps to controlling moisture in buildings)
- Tuesday, December 12th @ 10:15 a.m. – 11:15 a.m. – To register, click here.
- Tuesday, February 13th @ 10:15 a.m. – 11:15 a.m. – To register, click here.
Part 3: Construction Assemblies (Below grade construction; Above grade construction; Roofs, Parapets, and Penetrations)
- Thursday, December 14th @ 9 a.m. – 10 a.m. – To register, click here.
- Thursday, February 15th @ 9 a.m. – 10 a.m. – To register, click here.
Part 4: Water Management Strategies (Grading; WRB; Flashing; Cladding)
The Department of Licenses and Inspections is reaccredited by the International Accreditation Services (IAS). The Department has been accredited by IAS since 2013, demonstrating the Department’s competency and commitment to public safety based upon nationally recognized standards.
Our triennial reassessment happened in September 2023. A team of expert building code officials from across the country conducted an in-depth review of our permitting process. They shadowed our staff in every stage of permitting and inspections, conducting interviews with key stakeholders, assessing standard policies and procedures, and evaluated overall performance.
This accreditation renewal is a testament to the Department’s continued excellence in code enforcement. Thank you to all our stakeholders who participated in these interviews and congratulations to our L&I staff.