What we do
The Department of Licenses and Inspections (L&I) helps people comply with building safety standards and other code requirements. Contractors, business and property owners, landlords, and tenants are all served by L&I.
As part of our mission, we:
- Inspect construction projects so they meet construction and fire codes.
- Inspect higher-risk properties for compliance with fire codes.
- Respond to complaints regarding many code violations.
- Inspect, monitor, seal, and demolish vacant and/or dangerous buildings.
- Review plans and issue permits according to building, zoning, plumbing, and electrical codes.
- Issue trade and business licenses.
- Help landlords and tenants understand their responsibilities.
1401 John F. Kennedy Blvd.
Philadelphia, PA 19102
Sign up for our newsletter
L&I's newsletter helps you stay up-to-date about permits, licenses, and more.
Jun13EventFloodplain Development Webinar12:00 pm to 1:30 pmEvent
Floodplain Development WebinarJune 13, 202312:00 pm to 1:30 pm, 2 hoursThis floodplain development webinar will provide the latest overview of floodplain development in Philadelphia, including review of our "Guide to development in a Floodplain", Code Bulletin for development in the SFHA, and Flood protection forms.
This session will be held from 12:00 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. on Tuesday, June 13th via Zoom. Please register if you are interested in attending this webinar.
City Launches the Permit Navigator, a Pilot to Support the Permit Process for Residential and Commercial Projects
Use our online system to apply for licenses and permits and look up business and trade license information.
You must make an appointment to get services at the L&I Permit and License Center.
Atlas is the City's robust mapped-based information tool. Find violations, property information, and more.