What we do
The Department of Licenses and Inspections (L&I) helps people comply with building safety standards and other code requirements. Contractors, business and property owners, landlords, and tenants are all served by L&I.
As part of our mission, we:
- Inspect construction projects so they meet construction and fire codes.
- Inspect higher-risk properties for compliance with fire codes.
- Respond to complaints regarding many code violations.
- Inspect, monitor, seal, and demolish vacant and/or dangerous buildings.
- Review plans and issue permits according to building, zoning, plumbing, and electrical codes.
- Issue trade and business licenses.
- Help landlords and tenants understand their responsibilities.
L&I is now accepting applications for alternate excavation training programs. To submit an application, please email documentation to Brett.email@example.com demonstrating compliance with the below requirements. All approved alternate programs will be posted to L&I’s website. Please be sure to verify approval before registering for any course offered by an organization other than an OTI Education Center.
- The company must be approved by the PA Department of Labor and Industry as a training provider.
- Include a course outline demonstrating course objectives, topics, and allocated time meets or exceeds the OSHA 3015 Excavation, Trenching, and Soil Mechanics.
- Submit a quality control plan that includes organizational structure of the company, the credentials of trainers and a quality assurance program.
- Must issue a unique Course Completion Certificate that may be verified by the Department.
- Cost of training services is compatible with OSHA training course.
- Include an examination, identification of passing grade necessary to obtain certification, and at least one opportunity for re-testing if intended as an alternative to OSHA 3015.
Aug24EventL&I eCLIPSE Permitting Basics Webinar9:00 am to 11:00 amEvent
L&I eCLIPSE Permitting Basics WebinarAugust 24, 20229:00 am to 11:00 am, 2 hoursL&I will be conducting a 2-hour public training session on the basics of filing permit applications through the online eCLIPSE system. This webinar is an introductory session intended for new users.
The session will be held from 9:00am - 11:00am on Wednesday, August 24, 2022 via Zoom. Please register if you are interested in attending this information session.
Aug30EventExcavation Permit and Excavation Contractor License Webinar9:00 am to 10:00 amEvent
Excavation Permit and Excavation Contractor License WebinarAugust 30, 20229:00 am to 10:00 am, 1 hourL&I representatives will provide a 1-hour webinar on the new laws relating to excavation work and protection of adjacent property that take effect on January 1, 2023. All affected developers, contractors and design professionals are strongly encouraged to attend. For more information on the new laws, please refer to Bill No. 210389 and Bill No. 220008. The presentation will also include a an overview of the requirements for monitoring of historic buildings.
This session will be held from 9:00 a.m. - 10:00 a.m. on Tuesday, August 30, 2022 via Zoom. Please register if you are interested in attending this information session.
Sep22EventChanges to the 2018 Residential Code Provisions12:00 pm to 1:00 pmEvent
Changes to the 2018 Residential Code ProvisionsSeptember 22, 202212:00 pm to 1:00 pm, 1 hourThe Department will be offering a 1-hour session to provide an overview of the significant changes to the 2018 Residential Code provisions.
This session will be held from 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm on Thursday, September 22nd, 2022 via Zoom. Please register if you are interested in attending this information session.
Use our online system to apply for licenses and permits and look up business and trade license information.
Atlas is the City's robust mapped-based information tool. Find violations, property information, and more.