What we do
The Department of Licenses and Inspections (L&I) helps people comply with building safety standards and other code requirements. Contractors, business and property owners, landlords, and tenants are all served by L&I.
As part of our mission, we:
- Inspect construction projects so they meet construction and fire codes.
- Inspect higher-risk properties for compliance with fire codes.
- Respond to complaints regarding many code violations.
- Inspect, monitor, seal, and demolish vacant and/or dangerous buildings.
- Review plans and issue permits according to building, zoning, plumbing, and electrical codes.
- Issue trade and business licenses.
- Help landlords and tenants understand their responsibilities.
The Department of Revenue will not issue new Philadelphia tax accounts between October 26th and October 29th due to system maintenance. This may impact your ability to obtain a new Commercial Activity License.
If you need to apply for a new Commercial Activity License and have not already obtained a Philadelphia tax account from the Department of Revenue, please return to eCLIPSE after October 29th.
We apologize for the inconvenience.
eCLIPSE will be out of service for two hours beginning on Sunday, October 31st from 10:00 p.m. to 12:00 a.m for required maintenance.
L&I apologizes for any inconvenience.
Beginning January 1, 2022, all damper and smoke control certifications must be submitted through the eCLIPSE online portal.
To provide assistance, L&I will conduct a brief demonstration on how to set-up your eCLIPSE account, associate your license and submit certifications through the online portal. Immediately following the demonstration, License Issuance experts will be available to provide one-on-one assistance to license holders who have not yet successfully completed the license association.
This event is geared towards licensed sheet metal technicians performing regular inspections on dampers and smoke control systems.
The webinar will be held virtually via Zoom on Tuesday, November 16th from 9:00 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. To register for this webinar, click here.