The Department of Licenses and Inspections (L&I), along with other City partners, enforces the Philadelphia Code and its safety and building standards. L&I also issues citations and violations to those that violate the code.
When to appeal
You can make an appeal if you think you have:
- Been incorrectly denied zoning approval.
- Have been issued a citation or violation in error.
- Want to get an exemption for building materials standards.
- Want to appeal a decision related to a license to carry firearms.
If you’ve filed a request for appeal, find your hearing date on the appeals calendar.
L&I has four boards that manage appeals:
- Board of Building Standards (BBS)
- Board of License and Inspection Review (BLIR)
- Plumbing Advisory Board (PAB)
- Board of Safety and Fire Prevention (BOSFP)
For zoning decisions, you must make an appeal to the Zoning Board of Adjustment (ZBA).
For fire code appeals, you must make an appeal with the Board of Safety and Fire Code Prevention.
Appeal a zoning decision to the Zoning Board of Adjustment (ZBA) If L&I refuses your Zoning/Use Registration application, you may appeal to the Zoning Board of Adjustment (ZBA).
Appeal to the Board of License and Inspection Review How to appeal a violation, permit, or notice to the Board of License and Inspection Review.
Appeal to the Board of Building Standards (BBS) How to file an appeal to the Board of Building Standards.
Appeals documents and forms
These documents support appeals through the ZBA, BOSFP, BBS, PAB, or BLIR.