The primary focus of the Department of Licenses and Inspections (L&I) is public safety. Permits allow L&I to perform reviews and conduct inspections of construction and related activities taking place in Philadelphia.
Building and safety codes
The permit process helps to ensure that projects comply with applicable codes.
Building permits allow work or a change in activity to be done at a building or on a lot. You must file permit applications and pay related fees in order to be issued a permit.
Preliminary plan review
You have the option of having an L&I staff member to review plans and have them answer and/or prepare documentation to address your concerns. To do this, you should request a preliminary plan review.
Once you are ready to build, you’ll need to apply for individual permits.
Permits for construction and repair
For repairs to dangerous buildings
These documents will help guide you through your building or repair project. You can also refer to code bulletins to learn more.
- Building permit materials
- EZ permit standards (permits without plans)
- Special inspections information
- Flood protection forms
- Site / Utility permit materials
- Energy code compliance materials
- L&I plan review checklists
- L&I plan requirements
- L&I affidavit form
- Demolition permit information
- Start Right Guide
- Fees for L&I permits and licenses
- Project scoping meeting application and instructions