- Tuesday, October 6th, 13th, 20th & 27th at 9:30 a.m., 2 p.m., 3:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, October 7th, 14th, 21st & 28th at 9:30 a.m., 2 p.m., 3:30 p.m.
All meetings will be held on the Zoom platform. You may also call +1 (646) 876-9923 (webinar ID 820 8829 2595 and password 634842). For details, see the meeting instructions (PDF) or the meeting calendar.
What we do
Housed within the Philadelphia Department of Planning and Development, the Zoning Board of Adjustment (ZBA) hears appeals of:
- Department of Licenses and Inspection’s (L&I’s) refusal or referral of a zoning permit application.
- Any decision made by L&I in accordance with the Philadelphia Zoning Code, including issuance of by-right permits and zoning- related violation notices.
The Philadelphia Zoning Code regulates development within the city. Zoning regulations govern:
- Property uses.
- Height, size, and spacing of buildings and other structures.
- Parking requirements.
- Signage size and placement.
Use changes and new structures
To change the use of your property or erect a new structure or addition, you will have to apply for a zoning permit with the L&I.
- If the proposed use or construction is not allowed, L&I will issue a refusal.
- If the use requires a special exception, L&I will issue a referral.
- If your application is refused or referred, you have 30 days to appeal the decision to the Zoning Board.
- If the Zoning Board denies your appeal, you have 30 days to appeal that decision to the Court of Common Pleas.
ZBA also hears appeals of permits issued or decisions made by L&I relating to the Zoning Code.
ZBA is an independent board within the Department of Planning and Development. It has those powers set forth in the Home Rule Charter and the Philadelphia Code. It conducts its work with the guidance of its rules and regulations.
1515 Arch St.
18th Floor, Room 18-006
Philadelphia, PA 19102
Phone: (215) 686-2429
TTY: (215) 683-0286
|Carol Tinari||Vice Chair|
|Thomas Holloman||Board member|
|James Snell||Board member|