Permits, violations & licenses

Get a Vendor Motor Vehicle License

Service overview

You need a Vendor Motor Vehicle License to sell goods from a vehicle. Vehicles must be parked on the street and be able to be moved.

To operate a stand or food cart on the sidewalk, you need to get a Sidewalk Sales License and follow space limits.

Prohibited streets and special districts

The City prohibits vendors from selling in certain areas. For help with the prohibited streets, use the map below or contact the Vending Unit at (215) 686-2414.

Prohibited streets and areas and special vending districts

  • Special vending districts
  • Prohibited streets and areas


Business owners and their agents can apply for this license.


Other licenses and registrations


You must provide two ID photos. These photos must be between two and three square inches in size.

Related licenses

To operate in the City’s special vending districts, you may need several licenses.

District Vendor Motor Vehicle Neighborhood Vending License Center City Vending License Special Vending District License Related food licenses (if selling food)
University City X X X
Temple X X X
Elsewhere in the city X X

Related food licenses include:

Where and when


Use the eCLIPSE system.

In person

Permit and License Center
1401 John F. Kennedy Blvd.
MSB, Public Service Concourse
Philadelphia, PA 19102

Office hours: 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday

Office closes at noon on the last Wednesday of each month.


Fee per location

A non-refundable application fee of $20 is applied toward the balance of the license fee.

Renewal fee per location

Note: If you are vending in any special neighborhood vending area, different fees will apply.

Payment methods and details

Accepted payment methods

Where Accepted payment
Online through the eCLIPSE application

(There is a $200,000 limit for online payments.)

  • Electronic check
  • Credit card (+2.5% surcharge)
In person at the Permit and License Center in the Municipal Services Building
  • Electronic check
  • Credit card (+2.5% surcharge)
In person at the Cashier’s Station in the Municipal Services Building

(Items paid at the Cashier’s Station will be mailed within five business days.)

  • Check
  • Money order
  • Credit card (+2% surcharge)
  • Cash

Checks and money orders

Check requirements
  • Make all checks and money orders payable to the “City of Philadelphia.”
  • The individual or company listed on the check must be listed on the application.
  • Personal checks are accepted.
  • Checks and money orders must have issue dates within 12 months of the transaction.
Reasons your check may be rejected

L&I will not accept checks that are missing depository information or are:

  • Unsigned.
  • Expired.
  • Post-dated.
  • Starter checks without account info.

Returned payment policy

If your check is returned unpaid for insufficient or uncollected funds:

  1. You authorize the City of Philadelphia or its agent to make a one-time electronic fund transfer from your account to collect a fee of $20.
  2. The City of Philadelphia or its agent may re-present your check electronically to your depository institution for payment.


You can apply for this license online through eCLIPSE or in person at the Permit and License Center.


Upload all required documents.

Applications are reviewed within five business days.

If the application is approved, you will receive notice to pay the balance.

If the application isn’t approved, you will receive an email stating what is missing or required.

In person

Visit the Permit and License Center.

L&I can review most applications while you wait.

L&I will either issue your license or request more information.

Renewal requirements

This license must be renewed annually. You can renew online through eCLIPSE or in person at the Permit and License Center.

To renew your license, you must be current on all City of Philadelphia taxes.