You need this license to operate a towing company.
You must get a Tow Company License before you can get licenses for tow trucks. The Department of Licenses and Inspections (L&I) issues this license.
Business owners and their agents can apply for this license.
Include the following information with your application:
- Driver information
- Posted locations
- Towing agreement: You must have a written agreement with the owner or custodian of any property that you tow vehicles from. It must include the name of the business, its address, and a list of towing rates.
Other licenses and registrations
- Garage Keeper’s Legal Liability Insurance (if storing vehicles) for at least $100,000. You must list the City of Philadelphia as Certificate Holder.
- Automobile Insurance (identifying make, model, and VIN number of each vehicle covered)
- At least $200,000 per injury
- At least $500,000 per incident
- At least $50,000 per property damage claim
You must be current on City taxes to get this license.
Where and when
Use the eCLIPSE system.
Permit and License Center
1401 John F. Kennedy Blvd.
MSB, Public Service Concourse
Philadelphia, PA 19102
Office hours: 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday
Office closes at noon on the last Wednesday of each month.
Renewal fee: $310
Renewal fee: $103
There is a non-refundable application fee of $20 applied to the license fee. The balance of the license fee is due once your application is approved.
Payment methods and details
Accepted payment methods
|Online through the eCLIPSE application
(There is a $200,000 limit for online payments.)
|In person at the Permit and License Center in the Municipal Services Building||
|In person at the Cashier’s Station in the Municipal Services Building
(Items paid at the Cashier’s Station will be mailed within five business days.)
Checks and money orders
- Make all checks and money orders payable to the “City of Philadelphia.”
- The individual or company listed on the check must be listed on the application.
- Personal checks are accepted.
- Checks and money orders must have issue dates within 12 months of the transaction.
Reasons your check may be rejected
L&I will not accept checks that are missing depository information or are:
- Starter checks without account info
Returned payment policy
If your check is returned unpaid for insufficient or uncollected funds:
- You authorize the City of Philadelphia or its agent to make a one-time electronic fund transfer from your account to collect a fee of $20.
- The City of Philadelphia or its agent may re-present your check electronically to your depository institution for payment.
You can apply for this license online using eCLIPSE or in person at the Permit and License Center.
Applications are reviewed within five business days.
If the application isn’t approved, you will receive an email stating what is missing or required.
- Renew online through eCLIPSE or in person at the Permit and License Center.
Required for renewal:
- Be current on all City taxes.
- Hold current insurance.