Philadelphia’s rotational towing program makes sure there are safe, fair towing practices in the City. The rotational towing program is authorized by the Philadelphia Code. It is administered by the:
- Managing Director’s Office.
- Philadelphia Police Department.
- Department of Licenses and Inspections.
When there is an accident or disabled vehicle on city streets, this program dispatches towing companies from approved lists. These companies have agreed to the City's towing standards, which include a set fee schedule. The rotational towing program:
- Protects consumers from price-gouging.
- Cracks down on wreck-chasing, when unauthorized tow trucks race to accident scenes.
- Allows towing companies to serve accident scenes fairly.
Wreck-chasing and soliciting towing business from accident scenes without a proper dispatch is illegal in the City of Philadelphia.