Philadelphia’s rotational towing program makes sure there are safe, fair towing practices in the City. The rotational towing program is authorized by the Philadelphia Code. It is administered by the:
- Managing Director’s Office.
- Philadelphia Police Department.
- Department of Licenses and Inspections.
When there is a crash or disabled vehicle on city streets, this program dispatches towing companies from approved lists. These companies have agreed to the City's towing standards, which include a set fee schedule. The rotational towing program:
- Protects consumers from price-gouging.
- Cracks down on wreck-chasing, when unauthorized tow trucks race to crash scenes.
- Allows towing companies to serve crash scenes fairly.
Wreck-chasing and soliciting towing business from crash scenes without a proper dispatch is illegal in the City of Philadelphia.