Skip to main content

Business & self-employment

Report wage theft violation

Wage theft is an illegal practice where an employer withholds money rightfully owed to an employee, or retaliates against an employee who files a complaint.

Examples of wage theft

  • Failure to pay overtime
  • Failure to pay the minimum wage required by the state
  • Failure to pay all hours
  • Failure to post wage theft poster
  • Forcing employees to work off the clock
  • Forcing employees to give any portion of their tips to the employer
  • Wrongful pay deductions, including deducting the cost of damaged equipment, missing cash from a register, or lost customers from an employee’s paycheck

How to file a wage theft complaint

The Office of Worker Protections enforces this law for people who are paid by cash, 1099, W-2, electronic transfers, and all other forms of payment. Anyone working within Philadelphia city limits who has experienced wage theft may file a wage theft complaint against a current employer or a former employer provided that:

  • Your complaint is filed within three years of the wage theft.
  • The total amount of wages lost is more than $100 and less than $10,000.

In order to file a complaint, fill out and sign the wage theft complaint form.

Please submit all information you have regarding hours worked and compensation along with the complaint form. If you are not sure or have questions, our office will work with you on additional information.

Forms can be emailed to or mailed to:

Office of Worker Protections
Land Title Building
100 S. Broad St., 4th Floor, Room #425
Philadelphia, PA 19110

Forms & instructions