Permits, violations & licenses

Get a Fire Suppression Systems Permit

Service overview

You need this permit to do work on a fire suppression system.

This includes:

  • Sprinkler piping and heads (wet, dry, and chemical systems).
  • Standpipes.
  • Fire pumps.
  • Backflow prevention devices.
  • Fire department connections.
  • Fire hydrants.
  • Associated valves and other controls.

The Department of Licenses and Inspections (L&I) issues Fire Suppression Systems permits.

EZ permits

Some kinds of work are eligible for EZ permits, which do not require you to submit plans. This includes:

  • Relocation of sprinkler heads only – both commercial and residential.
  • Installation of a kitchen hood fire suppression system.

Rough-in Permits

You can get a Rough-in Permit to install fire suppression system piping before the full permit is issued.

To get a Rough-in Permit, you must first submit an application for a Fire Suppression Permit, including plans and the associated fees. You must request and describe rough-in work on the permit application.


Any property owner or their authorized agent can apply for this permit. Authorized agents may include:

  • Fire suppression system contractors
  • Design professionals.
  • Attorneys.
  • Licensed expediters.


Permit application

The permit application must include the complete scope of work and current owner information.


A fire suppression systems contractor must perform all work. The contractor must:

  • Have active license.
  • Be current on all City of Philadelphia taxes.
  • Have current insurance on file with L&I.

The contractor must be identified and confirm association with the project before a permit may be issued.

Backflow devices may only be installed by an approved technician.


If your application requires plans, they must follow plan requirements.

Plans are not required for the following work if it adheres to the EZ Permit Standard.

Forms and other documents

  • Asbestos Inspection Report, if:
    • Installed in an existing building,
    • The cost of work exceeds $50,000, and
    • The building was constructed prior to December 31, 1980.
  • Philadelphia Water Department (PWD) Form CP100: For backflow devices
  • Dry & Wet Chemical Extinguishing System Data Sheet:For chemical extinguishing systems (not required if using the EZ Standard for Kitchen Fire Suppression Systems)
  • If a new fire pump or jockey pump is included, submit the manufacturer’s specifications for proposed models.

Contact Air Management Services in the Health Department for information on asbestos investigation and abatement.

Related permits

  • If the project requires a Building Permit (for new construction, additions, alterations), it must be issued prior to a Fire Suppression Systems Permit.
  • If any component of the system requires electrical power, such as a pump, you will need to get an Electrical Permit.
  • You need separate permits from the Philadelphia Water Department (PWD) for connections to the water main or sewer and for water meters. Contact PWD at (215) 685-6271 or email
  • All disturbances to the City sidewalk require a Department of Streets footway permit. This permit may be issued by the Water Department with a connection permit.

Required pre-approvals

For historic properties

More +

For water service and pressure flow data 

More +

For any free-standing equipment, such as a Fire Department connection, that will be put in the right-of-way

More +

For some healthcare and medical care facilities

More +

Where and when

In person

Permit and License Center
1401 John F. Kennedy Blvd.
MSB, Public Service Concourse
Philadelphia, PA 19102

Office Hours: 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday

Offices close at Noon on the last Wednesday of each month.


Fee types that may apply

Filing fee

  • $100

This fee is nonrefundable. It will be credited towards the final permit fee.

Permit fee

  • Each sprinkler head: $12
  • Backflow devices, when submitted separately: $125
  • Standpipe riser (per floor): $60 each
  • Fire pumps: $275 each
  • Commercial cooking extinguishing systems: $125 each
  • Fire hydrants: $60 each
  • Sprinkler head relocation: $60 for the first 20, plus $4 per each additional
  • Minimum Fee: $150
  • One-or-two-family dwellings only
    • New system: $150
    • Sprinkler head relocation or system alteration: $55

Surcharge fees

  • City surcharge: $3 per permit
  • State surcharge: $4.50 per permit

Record retention fee

  • Per page over 8.5 in. by 14 in.: $4

Rough-in Permit fee

  • $150

Accelerated Plan Review fee (optional)

Applications for new construction that include plans are eligible for expedited review. Accelerated applications are reviewed within 5–10 business days.

  • Fee: $540
  • If your plans require more than four hours to review, you will be charged an additional fee of $135 per hour.

To apply, fill out an Accelerated Plan Review application and submit with your permit application. Amount must be paid when you submit your application and will not be credited toward your final permit fee.


You can apply for this permit in person at the Permit and License Center.

In person

Get any prerequisite approvals before submitting your application to L&I.
Bring your completed application, application materials, and payment to the Permit and License Center.

Applications with plans are processed within 20 business days.

  • The applicant can accelerate the application for an additional fee. Accelerated applications are reviewed within 5-10 business days.
  • Applications without plans will be reviewed while you wait.
    • Applications without plans must be made by a licensed contractor or include a signed statement on the contractor’s letterhead confirming their involvement with the project.
  • If you are applying for a Rough-in Permit, it may be issued immediately.
If approved, the applicant will receive notice to pay the balance.

If not approved, the applicant will receive an email stating what is missing or required.

Before a permit may be issued, the contractor must be identified and confirm association with the project.

Once approved, schedule your inspection.

Contact your local inspection office when the contractor is ready to start work. The contact information and required inspections will be noted on your permit.

A Certificate of Approval will be issued upon successful completion of all required inspections.