|Trash & recycling||Trash and recycling collections are delayed in some areas. Set materials out on scheduled day.|
What we do
The Department of Streets designs, builds, and repairs the City’s streets and roadways. In addition to picking up trash and recycling, we maintain and operate street lights and traffic control devices.
To help keep the City of Philadelphia clean, safe, and moving, we:
- Construct and maintain 320 bridges and 2,525 miles of streets and highways.
- Gather data on traffic and evaluate causes of crashes.
- Manage programs like the Philadelphia More Beautiful Committee and SWEEP.
- Provide all surveying functions for the City of Philadelphia.
- Plan the location, time, and methods for street reconstruction.
Streets Department Resumes Outdoor Operations on Friday, June 9
The Streets Department will resume all of its outdoor operations on Friday, June 9.
Crews will be working through Saturday to pick up any delayed trash and recycling collections. On Friday, trash and recycling materials not collected from Thursday’s sanitation routes will be picked up. Crews will also begin picking up materials regularly collected on Friday’s sanitation routes. The completion of Friday’s routes will take place on Saturday. Other services that will resume include paving, traffic, street lighting and street repairs.
The Streets Department thanks residents for their patience and cooperation as we work through this emergency. The health and safety of our employees are our priority as well as providing our core services safely and efficiently to residents.