Payments, assistance & taxes

Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) resources

Did you earn less than $55,952 last year? Get up to $6,557 of it back!

If you are between 25 and 65 years old or have a qualifying child, you may be eligible for the federal Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC). The EITC is is worth up to $6,557 per income tax return for eligible low- to moderate-income individuals and families.

Of the 181,000 Philadelphians who could receive a refund, almost 50,000 have not applied—leaving almost $125 million on the table. It’s worthwhile to apply—the average refund is $2,512.The EITC is not a City of Philadelphia program, but because it offers refunds for so many Philadelphians, the Department of Revenue is raising awareness of the EITC and putting resources into free tax preparation.

For workers

The Department of Revenue has a separate website, You Earned It Philly, which has resources to help you:

  • Find out if you qualify.
  • Calculate the maximum credit amount.
  • Find tax professionals who will help you complete your tax return for free.
  • Claim your tax credit.

Visit to learn more.

For community groups

The Department of Revenue offers community outreach services to help taxpayers get the tax credits, discounts, and assistance they’re eligible for.

To request EITC materials or have a Revenue representative speak at your next community meeting, email

For employers

Philadelphia employers must provide all employees and non-payroll workers with the City of Philadelphia EITC notice. Employers usually provide the notice at the same time as they issue employee W-2’s or comparable forms.