What we do
The mission of the Department of Revenue is the timely, courteous, and prompt collection of all revenue due to the City of Philadelphia, and all tax revenue due to the School District of Philadelphia. This includes the billing and collection of water and sewer charges.
The Water Revenue Bureau provides all billing and collection functions for water and sewer charges. We ensure that the Philadelphia Water Department has the financial resources needed to provide reliable, high-quality water to Philadelphia residents, businesses, and communities.
The Department of Revenue also administers the City’s many tax and assistance programs.
We continue to process payments sent to the department by mail, but processing times may be delayed due to social distancing guidelines. We apologize for any inconvenience.
There are no processing delays for payments made electronically: www.phila.gov/pay.
Taxpayers and water customers can:
- Schedule an in-person appointment to make payments at the Municipal Services Building (MSB). No walk-ins are accepted. You must have an appointment confirmation and valid ID to enter the MSB.
- Request a telephone call back from a Revenue representative about City taxes or about your water bill.
- Get an in-person appointment with a Law Department representative by calling (215) 686-0500.
- Call our tax information hotlines between 8 a.m. and 7:30 p.m., Monday to Friday.
- All customers are required to wear masks inside of the Municipal Services Building (MSB).
- Our satellite offices remain closed.
- We close the MSB’s Concourse Level from 12:30 – 1:30pm to sanitize the area daily. All in-person appointments restart at 1:30pm. Please do not arrive earlier than 10 minutes before your scheduled time.