What we do
The mission of the Department of Revenue is the timely, courteous, and prompt collection of all revenue due to the City of Philadelphia, and all tax revenue due to the School District of Philadelphia. This includes the billing and collection of water and sewer charges.
The Water Revenue Bureau provides all billing and collection functions for water and sewer charges. We ensure that the Philadelphia Water Department has the financial resources needed to provide reliable, high-quality water to Philadelphia residents, businesses, and communities.
The Department of Revenue also administers the City’s many tax and assistance programs.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: As of October 27, 2021, taxpayers can no longer use ACH Debit EZ-pay for the following Philadelphia taxes:
- Business Income & Receipts Tax (BIRT)
- Wage Tax
- Net Profits Tax (NPT)
- Earnings Tax
- School Income Tax (SIT)
- Liquor Tax
- Philadelphia Beverage Tax (PBT)
- Tobacco Tax
The City is terminating this pay-by-phone method after this date. All payments for these taxes must be made through the Philadelphia Tax Center starting November 1, 2021. Please read this guide to learn more.
Victims of Hurricane Ida now have until January 3, 2022 to file their Business Income and Receipts Tax (BIRT), Net Profits Tax (NPT), and School Income Tax (SIT) returns for tax year 2020. This filing extension does not apply to any other Philadelphia tax returns and does not extend the deadline for payment of BIRT, NPT or SIT taxes. See the full policy.
Taxpayers and water customers can:
- Schedule an in-person appointment to make payments at the Municipal Services Building (MSB).
- Request a telephone call back from a Revenue representative about City taxes or about your water bill.
- Get an in-person appointment with a Law Department representative by calling (215) 686-0500.
- Call our tax information hotlines between 8 a.m. and 5:30 p.m., Monday to Friday.
- All customers are required to wear masks inside of the Municipal Services Building (MSB) regardless of vaccination status.
- Our satellite offices remain closed.
Oct25EventUse and Occupancy Tax DueAll DayEvent
Use and Occupancy Tax DueOctober 25, 2021All Day
Oct25EventLiquor Tax DueAll DayEvent
Liquor Tax DueOctober 25, 2021All Day
Oct27EventWeekly Wage Tax dueAll DayEvent
Weekly Wage Tax dueOctober 27, 2021All Day