The federal Child Tax Credit gives parents and guardians up to $2000 per qualifying child to help their families. You may be able to claim the credit even if you didn’t work in 2022, earn any income, and don’t owe any taxes.
Almost all parents or guardians are eligible
You can qualify for the full amount of the 2022 Child Tax Credit for each dependent that meets all eligibility factors and if your annual income is not more than $200,000 or $400,000 if filing a joint return.
To be a qualifying child for the 2022 tax year, your dependent generally must:
- Be under the age of 17 at the end of the year (12/31/2022)
- Be your son, daughter, stepchild, eligible foster child, brother, sister, stepbrother, stepsister, half-brother, half-sister, or a descendant of one of these (for example, a grandchild, niece, or nephew)
- Provide no more than half of their own financial support during the year
- Have lived with you for more than half the year
- Be properly claimed as your dependent on your 2022 tax return
- Not file a joint return with their spouse for the tax year or file it only to claim a refund of withheld income tax or estimated tax paid
- Have been a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or U.S. resident
Parents and guardians with higher incomes may be eligible to claim a partial credit.
It won’t affect your other benefits
Since this incentive doesn’t count as an income, receiving the Child Tax Credit (CTC) won’t affect your eligibility or participation in programs like SNAP, Medicaid, or most other benefits.
Check if you qualify
You can use this tool from the IRS to verify if you qualify.
Pandemic Child Tax Credits
Under the American Rescue Plan of 2021, the federal government sent taxpayers additional payments for each qualifying minor. These funds were not renewed for tax year 2022. This means taxpayers will likely receive a significantly smaller refund compared with the previous tax year.
However, you can still claim the Advance Child Tax Credit Payments for tax year 2021 if you haven’t done so already.
File for FREE
Claim your CTC for FREE by filing your federal tax return online. Get started at www.myfreetaxes.com