Due to extremely hot weather, the City is implementing a Heat Health Emergency. You can find Cooling Centers, pools, spraygrounds, recreation centers, libraries with extended hours, and older adult centers on our interactive map. For help call the heatline at (215) 765-9040.
In effect: noon on Wednesday, July 17 to 11:00 p.m. on Monday, July 22

Payments, assistance & taxes

Refunds for taxes paid to local jurisdictions

Philadelphia residents who make income tax payments to local jurisdictions (like cities and counties) outside of Pennsylvania can request a refund if they also paid one of the following City of Philadelphia taxes on that same income:

No City income tax refund is available for taxes that a Philadelphia resident paid to another state. However, there is a Pennsylvania income tax credit for taxes paid to another state by a Pennsylvania resident.

Refund amounts

The maximum amount of the refund is the lower of either:

  • The amount paid to the other local jurisdiction for income that is also taxable in Philadelphia; or
  • The amount that was paid to Philadelphia.

Requesting a refund

Eligibility for these refunds is the result of a Supreme Court decision in Comptroller of Treasury of Maryland v. Wynne, 135 S.Ct. 1787 (2015).

When requesting a refund, you must:

  • Complete a refund petition form.
  • Provide documentation of the taxes you paid in the other jurisdiction.
  • Write “WYNNE” on the refund petition.

Forms & instructions