Contractors working on explosive excavations and structural implosion, such as tearing down buildings.
- Business Income and Receipts Tax ID
- Commercial Activity License
- Valid Philadelphia Contractor License
- Current certificate of insurance for the minimum insurance amounts listed in Section 5 of the Blasting Operations Guidelines.
Forms and documents
- Completed Blasting Operations Questionnaire (Attachment A of the Blasting Operations Guidelines)
- Copy of Pennsylvania Blaster’s License
- Copy of User of High Explosive License from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
- PA One-Call verification
- Dust Control Permit
Approvals from other departments or agencies
Your application will be circulated to multiple agencies for approval, including:
Where and when
Building demolition: Submit applications at least 90 days before the planned blasting date.
Excavation: Submit applications at least 60 days before the planned blasting date.
Permit and License Center
1401 John F. Kennedy Blvd.
MSB, Public Service Concourse
Philadelphia, PA 19102
Office Hours: 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday
Office closes at noon on the last Wednesday of each month.
The applicant must reimburse the City for the cost of all support services provided, as outlined in Section 5 of the Blasting Operations Manual.
Payment methods and details
Accepted payment methods
|Online through the eCLIPSE application||
|In person at the Permit and License Center in the Municipal Services Building||
|In person at the Cashier’s Station in the Municipal Services Building
(Items paid at the Cashier’s Station will be mailed within five business days.)
Checks and money orders
- Make all checks and money orders payable to the “City of Philadelphia.”
- The individual or company listed on the check must be listed on the application.
- Personal checks are accepted.
- Checks and money orders must have issue dates within 12 months of the transaction.
Reasons your check may be rejected
L&I will not accept checks that are missing depository information or are:
- Starter checks without account info
Returned payment policy
If your check is returned unpaid for insufficient or uncollected funds:
- You authorize the City of Philadelphia or its agent to make a one-time electronic fund transfer from your account to collect a fee of $20.
- The City of Philadelphia or its agent may re-present your check electronically to your depository institution for payment.
Apply for this permit in person at the Permit and License Center.
Submit all your materials.
Application will be circulated among departments for review and sign off.
If not approved, the applicant will receive an email stating what is missing or required.
Forms & instructions
- For street closures, Street Closure Permit