What we do
The Office of Emergency Management (OEM) works to ensure the City of Philadelphia is ready for any kind of emergency. OEM works with organizations throughout the City to prepare for possible emergencies in the City, lessen their impact, and recover as quickly as possible.
To meet our mission, the OEM:
- Teaches the public how to prepare for emergencies.
- Develops public safety plans for major events within the City.
- Oversees development of the City’s plans for large-scale emergencies and disasters.
- Conducts training and exercises to test the effectiveness of plans and policies.
- Collects, analyzes, and disseminates incident information.
- Coordinates and supports responses to and recovery from emergencies.
- Obtains funding in support of preparedness for Philadelphia.