What we do
The Department of Public Health works to protect and promote the health of all Philadelphians and to provide a safety net for the most vulnerable.
- Provides high-quality medical care at City health centers.
- Prevents the spread of illness and infectious disease.
- Protects against environmental hazards.
- Encourages healthy behaviors to prevent chronic disease.
- Plans and responds to health emergencies.
- Ensures the quality and accessibility of health services.
- Sets health policy.
- Collects, analyzes, and reports on a variety of public health data.
Two boards provide us with guidance on policy and regulatory issues: the Board of Health and the Air Pollution Control Board.
The Medical Examiner’s Office (MEO) determines the cause and manner of death for sudden, unexpected, and unnatural deaths in Philadelphia.
1101 Market St.
Philadelphia, PA 19107
Phone: (215) 686-5200