What we do
The mission of the Department of Public Health is to protect and promote the health of all Philadelphians and to provide a safety net for people who are disproportionately impacted by societal factors that limit their access to healthcare and other resources necessary for optimal health.
- Provides high-quality medical care at City health centers.
- Prevents the spread of illness and infectious disease.
- Protects against environmental hazards.
- Encourages healthy behaviors to prevent chronic disease.
- Plans and responds to health emergencies.
- Ensures the quality and accessibility of health services.
- Sets health policy.
- Collects, analyzes, and reports on a variety of public health data.
The Medical Examiner’s Office (MEO) determines the cause and manner of death for sudden, unexpected, and unnatural deaths in Philadelphia.