COVID-19 information: Philadelphia is in a modified, restricted green phase of reopening. For the latest information, visit Text COVIDPHL to 888-777 to receive updates to your phone.

Permits, violations & licenses

Get a Construction Dumpster License

Service overview

You need a Construction Dumpster License to lease or maintain dumpsters for construction. For example, a construction company or dumpster rental company might get this license. The Department of Licenses and Inspections (L&I) issues this license.

To temporarily place a construction dumpster in the public right-of-way (on a street or sidewalk), you need a permit from the Department of Streets. Call the department’s Permit Unit at (215) 686-5500 to get a Temporary Construction Dumpster Permit.


Business owners and their agents can apply for this license.


Each dumpster needs to have a Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) medallion attached to it. L&I will give you the medallion when you get your license.

The medallions transmit:

  • The license number.
  • The name and telephone number of the licensee.

You must immediately report any changes to this information to the License Issuance Unit by calling 311 or (215) 686-8686. Failure to report changes may result in fines or other penalties.

You can replace lost or damaged medallions at the Permit and License Center. You must bring the damaged medallion with you.

Where and when


Use the eCLIPSE system.

In person

Permit and License Center
1401 John F. Kennedy Blvd.
MSB, Public Service Concourse
Philadelphia, PA 19102

Office hours: 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday

Office closes at noon on the last Wednesday of each month.


License fee

$75 per dumpster, or a fleet of three for $75

Renewal fee

$75 per dumpster, or a fleet of three for $75

Damaged medallion fee


Lost or stolen medallion fee


Payment methods and details

Accepted payment methods

Where Accepted payment
Online through the eCLIPSE application
  • Electronic check
  • Credit card (+2.5% surcharge)
In person at the Permit and License Center in the Municipal Services Building
  • Electronic check
  • Credit card (+2.5% surcharge)
In person at the Cashier’s Station in the Municipal Services Building

(Items paid at the Cashier’s Station will be mailed within five business days.)

  • Check
  • Money order
  • Credit card (+2% surcharge)
  • Cash

Checks and money orders

Check requirements
  • Make all checks and money orders payable to the “City of Philadelphia.”
  • The individual or company listed on the check must be listed on the application.
  • Personal checks are accepted.
  • Checks and money orders must have issue dates within 12 months of the transaction.
Reasons your check may be rejected

L&I will not accept checks that are missing depository information or are:

  • Unsigned.
  • Expired.
  • Post-dated.
  • Starter checks without account info

Returned payment policy

If your check is returned unpaid for insufficient or uncollected funds:

  1. You authorize the City of Philadelphia or its agent to make a one-time electronic fund transfer from your account to collect a fee of $20.
  2. The City of Philadelphia or its agent may re-present your check electronically to your depository institution for payment.


You can apply for this license online using eCLIPSE or in person at the Permit and License Center.


Upload all required documents.

Applications are reviewed within five business days.

If the application is approved, you will receive a notice to pay the balance.

If the application isn’t approved, you will receive an email stating what is missing or required.

Once approved, L&I will issue your license and RFID medallion.

In person

Visit the Permit and License Center.

L&I can review most applications while you wait.

L&I will either issue your license or request more information.
Once approved, L&I will issue your RFID medallion.

Renewal requirements

This license must be renewed annually. You can renew online through eCLIPSE or in person at the Permit and License Center.

To renew your license, you must be current on all City taxes.