Working & jobs

Report wage theft

Wage theft is an illegal practice where an employer withholds money rightfully owed to an employee.

Examples of wage theft

  • Failure to pay overtime
  • Failure to pay the minimum wage required by the state
  • Forcing employees to work off the clock
  • Forcing employees to give any portion of their tips to the employer
  • Deducting the cost of damaged equipment, missing cash from a register, or lost customers from an employee’s paycheck

Conditions required for filing a complaint

If you’ve experienced wage theft, you can file a complaint against your employer or former employer provided that:

  • Your complaint is filed within three years of the wage theft.
  • The total amount of wages lost is more than $100 and less than $10,000.

How to file a wage theft complaint

Fill out and sign your complaint form.

To help build your case, be sure to:

  • Include a detailed description of the theft, with facts and dates, including employer names and locations in your email.

Email your completed and signed form—with supporting documents also attached—to the Mayor’s Office of Labor’s Office of Benefits and Wage Compliance at