Working & jobs

Apply for an internship at the Medical Examiner’s Office

The Medical Examiner’s Office (MEO) offers internships in the following units:

  • Bereavement Support Services
  • Fatality Review Program
  • Pathology
  • Toxicology

Interns must be enrolled in a degree program. The MEO only hosts interns from schools that have an official agreement with the City. The school’s representative will confirm eligibility and provide application details. Contact the representative at your school (a professor, academic advisor, or department chair) to find out if your school has an agreement with the City.

We do not accept volunteers to work in any of our units.

Bereavement Support Services

The Bereavement Support Services unit offers limited internships. Internships are awarded to students enrolled in a master’s-level social work program. Students must be in their second year of field placement. For further information, contact David Bissell at

Fatality Review Program

Each summer, the Fatality Review Program accepts interns through the Mayor’s Internship Program. Interns are sometimes also accepted during the academic year.

Applicants must be either:

  • Upper-level undergraduate students majoring in public health
  • Graduate students in public health or other health-related fields

For further information, contact David Bissell at


The pathology unit offers elective rotations for:

  • Residents.
  • Third- and fourth-year medical students.
  • Pathologists’ assistant students.

The intern’s college or university pathology department must arrange these elective rotations. For more information, contact Gary Sullivan at


The toxicology unit accepts applications from:

  • Chemistry.
  • Biology.
  • Forensics.

Undergraduate interns must have completed their sophomore year and the following courses:

  • Analytical chemistry.
  • Organic chemistry.
  • Biochemistry.

To apply, send an unofficial transcript and cover letter to Lisa Mundy at

Ask your department chair or academic advisor to send a letter of recommendation on official college letterhead. Letters should be emailed to:

Learn more about toxicology internships.

If your school does not have an official agreement with the City of Philadelphia, you can request one. This is only possible for the Toxicology unit. To begin this process:

  • Ask your department chair or academic advisor to recommend you for the internship.
  • Provide the email address of the chair or advisor to

These agreements can take up to one year to complete. You cannot apply for an internship until the agreement is signed by the school and the City.