COVID-19 information: Philadelphia is in a modified, restricted green phase of reopening. For the latest information, visit Text COVIDPHL to 888-777 to receive updates to your phone.

Permits, violations & licenses

Submit as a PA Home Improvement Contractor to get construction permits

Service overview

You don’t need to have a Philadelphia Contractor License if you only do home improvement work on one- or two-family dwellings (excluding electrical, plumbing, and fire suppression). However, you must register with the PA Office of the Attorney General.

You can apply for permits for home improvement work using your PA Home Improvement Contractor registration.


Those who have registered as a PA Home Improvement Contractor with the Attorney General can use this service.


Licenses and registrations

PA Home Improvement Registration

You must submit proof of your PA Home Improvement Registration.


You must provide a Certificate of Insurance that includes these minimum amounts:

  • General Liability: $500,000 per occurrence
  • Automobile Liability Insurance: $300,000
  • Worker’s Compensation:
    • $100,000 per accident
    • $100,000 per employee
    • $500,000 policy limit

Tax compliance

You must be current on all City of Philadelphia taxes.

Where and when

In person

Permit and License Center
1401 John F. Kennedy Blvd.
MSB, Public Service Concourse
Philadelphia, PA 19102

Office hours: 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday

Offices close at noon on the last Wednesday of each month.


There is no additional fee to apply for permits as a PA Home Improvement Contractor.


You can apply for permits as a Home Improvement Contractor in person at the Permit and License Center. 

In person

Visit the Permit and License Center.

You must bring your proof of registration as a Home Improvement Contractor with you when you apply for a permit.

You must also meet additional requirements for the permit.

L&I will accept your application or ask for more information.


Log in to your eCLIPSE account and apply for a permit. Upload all required documents and pay the filing fee.

You must complete a PA Home Improvement Contractor registration. Refer to the Department of Licenses and Inspection’s (L&I) how-to guide for step-by-step eCLIPSE instructions.

The application will go to L&I for review and approval.
If the application is approved, you will receive notice to pay the balance.