Nonprofits need this license to hold games of chance for a limited period of time.
Small games of chance include:
- Punch boards.
Nonprofits can get a Limited Engagement Small Games of Chance License if:
- The prize is less than $500.
- They will only hold the game three or fewer times.
- They will hold the game for seven days or fewer.
- They do not own or lease a location where the games are held.
To hold more than three games a year, you need a Small Games of Chance License.
If the prize is over $500 you also need a Special Permit License.
Nonprofit organizations can apply for this license.
Notarized PA Department of Revenue Small Games of Chance application
You must be registered with the Department of Revenue as one of the following:
- Nonprofit organization
- Charitable organization
- Religious association
- Civic association
Where and when
Use the eCLIPSE system.
Permit and License Center
1401 John F. Kennedy Blvd.
MSB, Public Service Concourse
Philadelphia, PA 19102
Office hours: 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday
Office closes at noon on the last Wednesday of each month.
Payment methods and details
Accepted payment methods
|Online through the eCLIPSE application||
|In person at the Permit and License Center in the Municipal Services Building||
|In person at the Cashier’s Station in the Municipal Services Building
(Items paid at the Cashier’s Station will be mailed within five business days.)
Checks and money orders
- Make all checks and money orders payable to the “City of Philadelphia.”
- The individual or company listed on the check must be listed on the application.
- Personal checks are accepted.
- Checks and money orders must have issue dates within 12 months of the transaction.
Reasons your check may be rejected
L&I will not accept checks that are missing depository information or are:
- Starter checks without account info
Returned payment policy
If your check is returned unpaid for insufficient or uncollected funds:
- You authorize the City of Philadelphia or its agent to make a one-time electronic fund transfer from your account to collect a fee of $20.
- The City of Philadelphia or its agent may re-present your check electronically to your depository institution for payment.
You can apply for this license online through eCLIPSE or in person at the Permit and License Center.
Applications are reviewed within five business days.
If the application isn’t approved, you will receive an email stating what is missing or required.
L&I can review most applications while you wait.
You cannot renew this license. You must get a new one each time.