Very hot weather can make people sick, even healthy adults. Older adults, pregnant women, infants and young children, and people with medical conditions are at higher risk. Pets can also be at risk. Hot weather can also cause utility disruptions or bad weather.
Heat Health Emergency
During very hot weather, the City can declare a Heat Health Emergency.
In a Heat Health Emergency:
- The Heatline – a special helpline number – is open for calls: (215) 765-9040.
- Cooling centers will stay open later.
- Mobile heat health teams may be dispatched.
- Residential utility shutoffs are stopped.
Call the Heatline at (215) 765-9040 to:
- Get health safety tips.
- Talk to health department nurses about medical problems related to the heat.
If you think someone is having a medical emergency, call 911.