Today, we have the tools to end the HIV epidemic and to stop anyone from becoming HIV positive.
You can help prevent transmission of HIV by:
- Getting an HIV test.
- Using condoms the right way, every time you have sex.
- Taking PrEP medication (pre-exposure prophylaxis) if you are HIV negative. PrEP is a once-a-day pill that greatly reduces your chances of getting HIV.
- Making an appointment with an experienced HIV doctor and taking your HIV medications if you have HIV. This will keep you healthy and make it almost impossible for you to pass on HIV to others if the amount of virus in your blood is undetectable (Treatment as Prevention).
- Taking PEP medication (post-exposure prophylaxis) if you have recently been exposed to HIV.
- Limiting your number of sexual partners.
- Not having sex.
- Never sharing needles.