COVID-19 vaccine

The vaccine is now available for certain groups. Learn more about the City’s plans for distributing vaccines. If you're interested in getting the vaccine, sign up today!

Permits, violations & licenses

Get an Activity License Number

Service overview

You need an Activity License Number for certain kinds of non-commercial activity in Philadelphia. This includes:

  • Renting three units in a building that you live in.
  • Operating a non-profit.
  • Getting a vacant property license (residential or commercial).


Any person or legal entity can apply for this license.


Before you apply, you’ll need:

Tax account numbers

School Income Tax

Property owners that rent 1-3 units in a building they live in must pay the School Income Tax.

Where and when


Use the eCLIPSE system.

In person

Permit and License Center
1401 John F. Kennedy Blvd.
MSB, Public Service Concourse
Philadelphia, PA 19102

Office hours: 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday

Office closes at noon on the last Wednesday of each month.


There is no cost for an Activity License Number.



You can apply for this license using eCLIPSE.
The license is issued automatically.

In person

Visit the Permit and License Center.

If you do not already have a City tax account, you can visit the Revenue Department during the same visit.

This license is issued while you wait.

Renewal requirements

This license does not need to be renewed.