This license allows you to do plumbing work under a licensed master plumber.
Plumbing work includes the construction, alteration, or repair of any of the following systems or components:
- Waste vents
- Water piping
- Fixtures attached to plumbing elements, excluding gas or electric heaters
This license does not allow you to operate a business.
Any plumber that has passed the Journeyman Plumber Examination can apply for this license.
To qualify, you must have been registered as an apprentice plumber in Philadelphia for a minimum of four years.
Alternatively, you can provide proof of a similar authorization granted by any other state or local jurisdiction with equal or greater qualification requirements. This is subject to approval by the Department of Licenses and Inspections (L&I).
Testing and certification
You must provide proof of successful completion of the Journeyman Plumber Examination. This exam is administered by the International Code Council.
Your application must be submitted within 12 months of successful completion of the exam.
2 in. x 2 in., color
Where and when
Use the eCLIPSE system.
Permit and License Center
1401 John F. Kennedy Blvd.
MSB, Public Service Concourse
Philadelphia, PA 19102
Office hours: 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday
Office closes at noon on the last Wednesday of each month.
A non-refundable application fee of $25 is applied to the license fee. The balance of the license fee is due upon application approval.
Payment methods and details
Accepted payment methods
|Online through the eCLIPSE application||
|In person at the Permit and License Center in the Municipal Services Building||
|In person at the Cashier’s Station in the Municipal Services Building
(Items paid at the Cashier’s Station will be mailed within five business days.)
Checks and money orders
- Make all checks and money orders payable to the “City of Philadelphia.”
- The individual or company listed on the check must be listed on the application.
- Personal checks are accepted.
- Checks and money orders must have issue dates within 12 months of the transaction.
Reasons your check may be rejected
L&I will not accept checks that are missing depository information or are:
- Starter checks without account info
Returned payment policy
If your check is returned unpaid for insufficient or uncollected funds:
- You authorize the City of Philadelphia or its agent to make a one-time electronic fund transfer from your account to collect a fee of $20.
- The City of Philadelphia or its agent may re-present your check electronically to your depository institution for payment.
You can apply for this license online using eCLIPSE or in person at the Permit and License Center.
Applications are reviewed within five business days.
If the application isn’t approved, you will receive an email stating what is missing or required.
L&I can review most applications while you wait.
This license must be renewed annually. You can renew online through eCLIPSE or in person at the Permit and License Center.