Due to extremely cold conditions, the City is implementing special measures to keep people who are homeless safe. If you see someone who needs shelter, call (215) 232-1984.
In effect: 3:00 p.m. on Thursday, Jan. 17 until further notice

Payments, assistance & taxes

Philadelphia Beverage Tax

Due date
of each month, for the prior month's activity.
Tax rate

per ounce of sweetened beverage

Who pays the tax

Distributors of sweetened beverages. A distributor is any person who sells sweetened beverages to a dealer. A dealer is any person who sells sweetened beverages at retail, for example, delis, restaurants, or grocery stores.

If you are a dealer of sweetened beverages, you need to do two things:

  1. Buy the products from a registered distributor. If you do not purchase from a registered distributor, you will have to register and pay the tax directly to the City of Philadelphia.
  2. Notify the distributor that Sweetened Beverages sold to you are subject to the tax. Even if your distributor is outside of Philadelphia, they still must file to become a registered distributor with the City. If you do not purchase from a registered distributor and notify them that they must pay the tax on products they sell to you, you are subject to the tax if you sell sweetened beverages in Philadelphia.

What is taxed

The tax is not just on sodas. This tax is on any non-alcoholic beverage, syrup, or other concentrate used to prepare a beverage that lists as an ingredient any form of caloric sugar-based sweetener, including, but not limited to sucrose, glucose, or high fructose corn syrup.

Drinks considered “diet” or “zero calorie” are also taxed. Specifically, this tax is on any non-alcoholic beverage, syrup or other concentrate used to prepare a beverage that lists any form of artificial sugar substitute, including stevia, aspartame, sucralose, neotame, acesulfame potassium (Ace-K), saccharin, and advantame.

Examples of sweetened beverages

Soda (regular and diet); non-100%-fruit drinks; sports drinks; sweetened water; energy drinks; pre-sweetened coffee or tea; and non-alcoholic beverages intended to be mixed into an alcoholic drink.

Important dates

Philadelphia Beverage Tax filings and payments are due on the 20th of each month, for sales in the prior month. For example, electronic returns and payments for the sale of sweetened beverages during the month of June are due by July 20.

Tax rates, penalties, & fees

How much is it?

1.5 cents per ounce of sweetened beverages. While concentrates or syrups are also taxed, their tax rate is based on the final beverage produced, not the raw syrup or concentrate.

What happens if you don't pay on time?

A taxpayer who does not purchase from a registered distributor is responsible for the tax. If you don’t pay on time, interest and penalties will be added to the amount you owe.

For more information about rates, see our Interest, penalties, and fees page.

If you cannot pay your Beverage Tax, please contact the Philadelphia Department of Revenue to discuss entering into a payment agreement.

Additional penalties of $1,000 may be imposed for non-compliance and your Commercial Activity License can be revoked.

How to pay

Register as a distributor, registered dealer, or special dealer

All taxpayers should register online at PhillyBevTax.com.

File and pay online

File returns and pay the Philadelphia Beverage Tax electronically through PhillyBevTax.com. The tax is due the 20th of each month for the prior month.

Tax code