Thursday, June 4: The Mayor has extended a mandatory citywide curfew. Effective at 8:00 p.m. through tomorrow at 6 a.m. Only people with essential duties will be permitted outdoors.
In effect: 8:00 p.m. on Thursday, June 4 to 6:00 a.m. on Friday, June 5
In effect: 1:00 p.m. on Monday, June 01 until further notice

Permits, violations & licenses

Take a food safety certification course

Food businesses in Philadelphia must have an employee certified in food safety present whenever they are operating, whether or not the business is open to the public.

These designated employees, often referred to as the Person In Charge or PIC, must complete a food safety course with an approved provider and receive an official City of Philadelphia food safety personnel certificate.

The original certificate must be posted at the food business where customers can see it. During a health inspection, your food safety certified person or Person in Charge will be asked to show a valid photo ID to the health inspector. The name on the certificate must match the name on the photo ID. The certified person or PIC will also be asked to answer a series of questions to show a good understanding of food safety.

Certifications are valid for five years, after which the employee must complete and pass another food safety course approved by the Department of Public Health.


Take a food safety course (16 hours of instruction) with an approved food safety certification course provider. You can take courses in English, Spanish, Mandarin, or Korean.

Where and when

After you have completed an approved food safety certification course, you can apply for the City of Philadelphia food safety certificate in person or by mail to:

Department of Public Health
Office of Food Protection
321 University Ave., 2nd Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19104
(215) 685‐7495

Monday–Friday, 9 a.m.–3 p.m. (3 p.m.–4 p.m. by appointment only)


Your first certificate costs $30. The replacement cost for a certificate is $50.

Fees are nonrefundable.


After you have completed the course, you will receive a course certificate. To apply for the City of Philadelphia food safety certification, you must bring or send in:

  • The City of Philadelphia food safety certification application form. If you are requesting a replacement certificate, the application must include a statement of the reason why you need a replacement certificate.
  • A copy of your course certificate.
  • A certified check, cashier’s check, or money order made out to Philadelphia Health Dept. – EHS. Money orders and cashier’s checks cannot be older than 30 days.

Be sure to register for a food safety course early and submit the required materials to the Department of Public Health as soon as you have completed the course. It can take up to 30 business days for the Department of Public Health to mail you a City of Philadelphia food safety certificate, unless you request in your application to pick it up in person. For pick up, you will receive an email when it is ready.