You need a Residential Property Wholesaler License if your business is to buy residential properties solely for resale or to get owners to sell their residential properties so that you or someone else can buy and resell them. This includes multi-family and mixed-use buildings.
You do not need this license if you are a:
- Public official or employee acting in your official duties.
- PA-licensed attorney or real estate agent or realtor acting within the scope of your license.
- Buyer who intends to rent the property.
- Investor who buys property and makes improvements to increase resale value.
Individuals, business owners, and their agents can apply for this license.
Other licenses and registrations
If the name on the Commercial Activity License is not an individual, you must provide the name and contact information for the responsible person.
On the application, identify all corporations that the responsible person has an equity interest in.
You must provide a Certificate of Insurance that includes the minimum amount:
- General Liability Insurance: $1,000,000 per occurrence
The responsible person must submit a PA State Police criminal history check demonstrating the following:
- No conviction of any crime of fraud, dishonesty, breach of trust, or deceit within the prior six years.
- No conviction for violating the Public Official and Employee Ethics Law within the prior six years.
You must be current on all City of Philadelphia taxes.
Where and when
You can apply online using eCLIPSE.
Permit and License Center
1401 John F. Kennedy Blvd.
MSB, Public Service Concourse
Philadelphia, PA 19102
Office hours: 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday
Offices close at noon on the last Wednesday of each month.
Payment methods and details
Accepted payment methods
|Online through the eCLIPSE application
(There is a $200,000 limit for online payments.)
|In person at the Permit and License Center in the Municipal Services Building||
|In person at the Cashier’s Station in the Municipal Services Building
(Items paid at the Cashier’s Station will be mailed within five business days.)
Checks and money orders
- Make all checks and money orders payable to the “City of Philadelphia.”
- The individual or company listed on the check must be listed on the application.
- Personal checks are accepted.
- Checks and money orders must have issue dates within 12 months of the transaction.
Reasons your check may be rejected
L&I will not accept checks that are missing depository information or are:
- Starter checks without account info.
Returned payment policy
If your check is returned unpaid for insufficient or uncollected funds:
- You authorize the City of Philadelphia or its agent to make a one-time electronic fund transfer from your account to collect a fee of $20.
- The City of Philadelphia or its agent may re-present your check electronically to your depository institution for payment.
Late license payment
If you renew your license more than 60 days after the due date, you will be charged 1.5% of the license fee for each month since the license expired.
You can apply for this license online using eCLIPSE or in person at the Permit and License Center.
If the application isn’t approved, you will receive an email stating what is missing or required.
L&I can review most applications while you wait.
This license must be renewed annually. You can renew online through eCLIPSE or in person at the Permit and License Center.
To renew your license, you must:
- Be current on all City of Philadelphia taxes.
- Have proof of active insurance.