Qualifying businesses can register to offer outdoor dining on the sidewalk or in the adjacent curbside lane of the street. This is a temporary license to support businesses during the COVID-19 reopening. The license is valid until December 31, 2020.
You can apply for a:
- Temporary Sidewalk Cafe
- This registration allows for the daily use of the sidewalk area in front of a business for restaurant seating.
- Temporary Streetery
- This registration allows the conversion of adjacent curbside parking into outdoor dining or take-away food and beverage service.
- Temporary Sidewalk Cafe Extension
- This registration allows for the daily use of sidewalk area or conversion of curbside parking adjacent to a business for restaurant seating. The owner of the adjacent property must grant permission.
- Temporary Platforms and Shelters
- This registration allows for the erection or placement of platforms, tents or other structures on the sidewalk or adjacent curbside parking lot. Additional permits and approvals are required prior to erecting or placing structures.
Review the Outdoor Dining Guidelines (PDF) for complete requirements and guidance.
Other outdoor dining options
The Department of Streets is piloting temporary street closures (PDF) for commercial activity.
Business owners can get a Zoning Permit to change the use of a private lot for a limited time.
Business owners or their agents can apply for this license.
Read the Outdoor Dining Guidelines (PDF) and the Guidelines for Restaurants and Mobile Food Vendors (PDF). Make sure that your business can comply before you apply.
Other licenses and permits
- Business Income and Receipts Tax ID (BIRT)
- Commercial Activity License
- Food Preparation and Serving License
- Building Permit
- Tent Permit
Complete an application for outdoor seating in the right-of-way. A business can apply for multiple categories on a single application.
Authorization of outdoor seating extension
If you plan to extend outdoor seating in front of a property adjacent to the business, the adjacent property owner must and sign an authorization form.
Liability insurance: $1,000,000 comprehensive general liability insurance including contractual liability insurance
Must be current on all taxes
Changes to an Existing Outdoor Dining Registration
To make changes to an existing registration, submit the online amendment to outdoor dining form to document changes. These changes can include the addition of a structure, the extension in front of an adjacent property or other registration changes.
Where and when
Use the eCLIPSE system.
Permit and License Center
1401 John F. Kennedy Blvd.
Municipal Services Building, Public Service Concourse
Philadelphia, PA 19102
Office hours: 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday
Office closes at noon on the last Wednesday of each month.
There is no fee for this license.
You can apply for this license online using eCLIPSE.
Refer to the Department of Licenses and Inspection’s (L&I) how-to guide for step-by-step eCLIPSE instructions.