Skip to main content

Property, lots & housing

Get a copy of a deed or other recorded document

Service overview

The Department of Records maintains recorded documents from the late 17th century to the present. These documents include:

  • Deeds.
  • Mortgages.
  • Mortgage satisfactions.
  • Mortgage releases.
  • Easements.
  • Notary commissions.
  • Military discharge requests.
  • Other recorded documents.

You can look up these records online, in person, or by mail. Documents are not searchable until two to four weeks after they are recorded.


Property records

If you are requesting a copy of a property record, provide as much of the following information as possible.

  • Property address
  • Grantor (the person selling the property)
  • Grantee (the person buying the property)
  • Deed date (the date listed at the beginning of the deed)
  • Document ID no. (for records from 1973 to the present)

Property records from before 1973 may have to be pulled from the City Archives or require special handling. Contact the department.

Military discharges

Military discharges are confidential by law. The department provides these records:

  • To the person who is the subject of the record, or their agent or authorized representative.
  • When required by the process of a court.
  • When required by the county director of veterans affairs, or a state or federal entity.

The person who is the subject of the record must present valid identification. Relatives of veterans cannot get military discharge records from the department. They must go to the Office of Veterans Affairs.

Anyone can request a discharge record if it pertains to something that happened 75 or more years ago.



Philadox is an online document search system. Use it to:

  • Search deeds and other property records from 1974 to the present.
  • View document information and watermarked copies online.
  • Print documents or indexed information with a paid subscription.

You can get documents recorded before 1974 by mail or in person.


Online subscription fees vary by length of time.

  • One day – $15
  • One week – $60
  • One month – $125
  • One year – $750

You can pay with a VISA or Mastercard.

Mail or in person

Visit the Department of Records in person, or mail your request and payment to:

Department of Records
City Hall, Room 154
1400 John F. Kennedy Blvd.
Philadelphia, PA 19107

Hours of operation: Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.

If you mail your request, include a self-addressed stamped envelope and a note with the address of the property.

To find out the exact number of pages in advance of sending your request, contact us at (215) 686-2292 or

Copies are $2 per page. To have a copy certified, there is an additional $2 certification fee per document. If you overpay, we will notify you and send you a form to get a refund of the amount you overpaid.

You can pay by cash, money order, business, or certified check. We do not accept personal checks, credit, or debit cards. Make checks payable to “City of Philadelphia.”