Department of Records - City of Philadelphia
RECORDS : Document Recording

Military Discharges

Military Discharges are confidential and no disclosure thereof shall be made by the recorder of deeds except as follows:


  1. To the person who is the subject of the record, report or form; or to a member of his immediate family; or to his agent or representative duly authorized in writing.
  2. To a person making a request for a record, report of form when the event that resulted in the record, report or form occurred more than seventy-five years prior to the request.
  3. When required by process of a court to be produced in any suit or proceeding therein pending.
  4. When required by the county director of veterans affairs or any department or other agency of the State or United States Government.

    16 P.S. 9759.1

Copies of Military Discharges are available in the Records Department, Room 154 City Hall.   Hours of operation are Monday through Friday, 8 am to 2 pm.  

The individual who is the subject of the record must present identification.   Other requirements are stated above.   

Military Discharges that have not been recorded with the Records Department may be obtained through the Office of Veterans Affairs, Room 317 City Hall, 215-686-3256.