Getting permits

Although the Permit and License Center in the Municipal Services Building (MSB) is closed, you  can go online and use the eCLIPSE technology platform to apply for, manage, and print their permits.

Do not mail an application to L&I. We are only accepting applications through eCLIPSE at this time.

You can check the status of your permit applications by dialing (215) 255-4040 and using L&I’s new automated “IVR” phone system.

If you filed a paper application and would like your permit to move forward before MSB reopens, review these FAQs to learn more about what steps to take to can get a plan review and other L&I permit services.

You may have your application accelerated during the City building shutdown. The plan review will be completed within 10 days.

All permits scheduled to expire will be extended for 30 days.

You must apply in person for a “make safe” permit for a dangerous building. The MSB Concourse is closed, but you can request an appointment with an L&I staff member. Review the requirements before you request an appointment.

Getting Property Sales Certifications

With an eCLIPSE account, you can go online to obtain property sales certifications online.

Getting Licenses

You can obtain and renew all L&I business and trade licenses online through eCLIPSE.

Scheduling an inspection

You can use eCLIPSE or L&I’s new automated IVR phone system to request a permit inspection.

Philly 311 is continuing to accept complaints.

Registering for an eCLIPSE training webinar

Public training sessions on eCLIPSE scheduled for the week of March 23rd have been converted to free webinars.

Get help during the shutdown

Use this table to find help with issues you may have during the shutdown.

Issue Information
Trouble with logging into eCLIPSE, or licensing and technical questions Call 311 or use the 311 online form
Check the status of a permit or ask a code question Check the permit tracker or use the permit or code questions form
Request an inspection Call (215) 255-4040 or use the  eCLIPSE portal
COVID-19 construction and business updates Call 311 and read about the City Business Activity Order
Pay for a permit or ask to resubmit revised plans online Form: request online invoice, or allow electronic submission of revised plans
Request an appointment for a Make Safe Permit Use Make Safe Appointment Form
Can’t see Contractor License under Professional / Tradesperson pull down in eCLIPSE Use L&I’s help request form or the 311 online form
Upload emergency inspection Use Notice of Completion of Repairs Form
Submit or request a construction waiver Email
Inspection issues Email
Confirm compliance with an administrative hold on a permit Use the permit or code questions form
ZBA appeal information Zoning Board of Appeals
Other department approvals Call 311
Emergency Hearings before the Board of L&I Review Use the Board of L&I Review emergency hearing form and review L&I’s appeal documents