Public Works contracts include bids for the construction, reconstruction, alteration, repair or improvement of public:
Public Works bids of more than $34,000 must be publicly advertised.
Only businesses registered with PHLContracts can submit a bid.
The City requests quotes from vendors certified as minority, women, or disabled-owned businesses, or vendors registered as a small business. If no such vendors can provide quotes, quotes may be requested from other businesses.
- Minority, women, or disabled-owned businesses must register with the Office of Economic Opportunity. Small businesses must register with the U.S. Small Business Administration.
The City also provides contract incentives for registered Local Business Entities.
The Procurement Department checks the qualifications of bidders on a bid-by-bid basis. Potential bidders must submit a questionnaire and financial statement for each bid.
Bid listings include questionnaire due dates. Questionnaires are generally due 14 days before the bid opens.
Bidders are disqualified if they:
- Fail to submit a prequalification questionnaire within the time specified.
- Aren’t responsible.
- Don’t meet the bid requirements.
Disqualified bidders may appeal within 24 hours after receiving a disqualification notice. Disqualification notices include appeal instructions.
Bid invitations include specifications that define the scope of work being purchased. You must follow the specifications for each bid opportunity.
If a vendor believes there is a problem with the specification, they can contact the department before the bid opens. The bid may be changed in response.
Public Works bids must be accompanied by a bid bond of 10 percent of the gross amount of the bid. The Public Works specifications have more information on security and bonds.
Where and when
You can find all bid information and submit bids on PHLContracts.
The City awards contracts to the lowest responsive and responsible bidder.
- Responsive bidders submit bids that meet all requirements and criteria listed in the bid.
- Responsible bidders can and will perform the contract requirements.
The City will conform the contract, officially processing it.