Building in Philadelphia
Building permits are required before beginning projects to enlarge, repair, change, add to or demolish a structure, and to install equipment or systems in a structure. This includes:
- New construction.
- Alterations and additions to existing structures.
- Changes in the occupancy classification.
- Installation or modification of fire suppression or mechanical systems.
Please review our "Top Ten Building Permit Application Deficiencies
" list before submitting your building permit application.
A Contractor's License is required of any contractor who performs work in which the contractor is paid $500 or more. Applicants must annually reapply for a license and submit a bond. Your license cannot be issued without the required bond in the amount of $1,000.
- Commercial Activity License
- Business Tax Identification Number
- Worker's Compensation and Employer's Liability
- Comprehensive General Liability
- Motor Vehicle Liability
- Performance Bond for a Curb Setter
Search for a Licensed Contractor
Visit our zoning page