Register with the City of Philadelphia
Many professionals, and their employers, are responsible for registering with the City of Philadelphia by obtaining licenses to conduct business operations and perform construction operations. If you already know which license you need, please select it from the list on the right-hand side of this page. Click here for a catalog of licenses issued by Licenses + Inspections. Here you can search for the license or permit you need, or access helpful guides applicable to all businesses as well as your specific business type. You can also find information on State and Federal regulations, incentives and city taxes.
Obtaining and Renewing Licenses Online
Licenses can be obtained or renewed online using eCLIPSE, Licenses + Inspections Electronic Commercial Licensing, Inspection and Permit Services Enterprise System.
You will need to be prepared to perform the following steps in order to obtain or renew licenses online using eCLIPSE:
- Register online as a user of eCLIPSE using an email account
- Associate an Activity License with your eCLIPSE account to manage all new and existing business license activity and make new trade license application
- Associate an existing trade license to manage license activity, including renewal. You will need the online identifier provided on your next trade license renewal invoice.
- Make a payment
- Pay online using a credit card or checking account;
- Pay In Person by bringing an invoice and payment (e.g. cash, check, or money order) to the Revenue Department
Ready to go?
Click here to register for an eCLIPSE account and renew your license online.
Permits & Certificates
Permits or certificates may also be required for certain activities, especially for construction. See our section on Permits and Certificates for more detail or browse our catalog of permits and certificates.