Philly Coke Sitege
Richmond Street/Orthodox Street in Bridesburg
Council District 6
Westrum Development Co./K. Hovnanian Homes
720 units, 70,000 square feet of retail space and recreational areas
The 67-acre parcel has been identified as the cornerstone in the city’s North Delaware Waterfront Redevelopment program in which the ultimate goal is to reintroduce the Delaware Riverfront into the community by connecting the existing neighborhoods that run along the river corridor from Bucks County to Center City.
Owned by a subsidiary of the KeySpan Corp., the Philadelphia Coke property served as an industrial site from 1927 to 1982. In the mid 1980s, the plant was formally closed under the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA), overseen by the state agency now known as the Department of Environmental Protection.
Westrum and K. Hovnanian are working closely with the City of Philadelphia and the Bridesburg community to create an attractive land plan that will provide necessary access to the river while utilizing the natural assets of the property.